Sign in with
Your question

Laptop Graphic Cards?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 29, 2008 7:03:35 PM

Hey just coming here to get some help. My sister is in college right now and her laptop computer is giving her issues and running slow. Her graphics card isn't the greatest when it comes to doing work in CAD and all her other programs. So i was going to do 2 things first update the graphics card and give her more memory. If you guys could recommend a good graphics card for CAD and all other architectural related programs that would help. Secondly is it easy to replace GFX card in laptops at home or should i take it in.

More about : laptop graphic cards

a b U Graphics card
July 29, 2008 7:24:55 PM

Good luck finding a mobile GPU solution that you can replace it with. Most laptops are only setup to use a couple of graphics solutions for each model, and aren't usually given the ability to be upgraded to newer mobile cards as they come out later. You will do well to add RAM, but you might have to go through the laptop manufacturer and find out what upgrade options are, and if they are worth the cash they want...

Edit: most are BIOS flashed to only work with their brand of hardware, which is why nVidia drivers don't work with say, Dell or HP laptops...you have to get (outdated) drivers from them.
a b U Graphics card
July 29, 2008 7:33:58 PM

Very rarely would you be able to replace the graphics card. CPUs are typically easier, but they tend to be quite expensive. I'd say just build a relatively inexpensive desktop for any computer intensive tasks, and keep the laptop for mobility.
!