Keyboard Problem Virus or Hacker?!

DarkRoy

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2008
Hi. i seem to have a problem with my computer as i think its a virus because it seems to be spamming my s and f key like ssssssssssssssss and ffffffffffff and my caps lock wont turn on! only my num lock and scroll lock. Please i need help ive already formatted my pc a few weeks ago and i dont want to do it again. Oh and before people say yes i have tried different keyboards.

First, make certain that your keyboard is properly plugged in.
Next, turn over the keyboard and clean it out if you can.
I have had similar problems in the past, and replaced the keyboard under warranty...Problem solved.

MattC

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2004
Are you using a PS2 keyboard? If so, try a USB keyboard - if it's already USB, try a PS2 keboad or use a USB->PS2 adapter to use your keyboard in a USB port. If you only have a USB keyboard and no adapter, try your keyboard in every USB port - yes, sounds silly, but yo may have multiple distinct USB controllers on the MB - for instance, the front and back usb ports may be different.
If the problem in any way appears linked to using USB, you may try re-installing the chipset drivers that came with your MB (or recent ones from online, of course).

MegaGamer3

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2008
It is EXTREMELY unlikely that it is a virus. The most probable problem is that your keyboard is broken. Borrow a keyboard from a friend, and make sure that it is the same type (PS/2, or USB) to narrow it down.

tomasf

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2006
is you keyboard wireless? sometimes wireless keyboard behave strange, just unplug the receiver and plug it back, this should fix it.

mtyermom

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007
Like others are saying, it sounds more like a problem with your keyboard. Either a problematic connection to the USB/PS2, or the keyboard is just trying to roll over and die.

DarkRoy

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2008
As I said I've bought brand new keyboreds and it's happens and no I haven't tried safe mode and I have done a scan

rtfm

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2007
Doubt its a virus. Try with a usb keyboard (eliminates the possibility of your ps2 port being knackered) and if you really think it's a virus, try with a boot disk such as bartpe or a linux boot disk

DarkRoy

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2008
btw I did try different USB ports it happened after I installed a font so I uninstalled it and used system restore

colonelblake

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2007
actually ive heard of this before, i dont know HOW but it apperently can be done..

do you play counterstrike or other online fps? based on your use of wording of "hacker" and "spamming" ill bet you are. if so there is certain commands the server op can send to your machine to recognize only a certain type of LANGUAGE type. for instance we take it for granted that in english s is s and f is f, now if the op wanted to mess with you a command can be sent to make your keyboard only understand the manderin language or portuguese or whatever. or the command can be whatever symptoms your having.

the only thing to be done is to check regional and language options in control panel.......or uninstalll the keyboard software and download a new driver.

colonelblake

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2007
do you play at 1 particular server? if so find out who was admin at the time or someyou know who is a admin and ask them, "can my keyboard commands be changed through server side commands?"

when i played cs before steam, this was a common thing for admins to reroute your keyboard commands.

colonelblake

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2007
heres the link to your computer and keyboard driver.....is it the wireless keyboard?
http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?c=us&cs=22&l=en&s=dfh&ServiceTag=&SystemID=XPS_720&os=WLH&osl=en&catid=&impid=

DarkRoy

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2008
maybe a bios update would fix it. I told my friend about it and he said it's either a vista problem or a motherboard problem

kyeana

Distinguished
May 21, 2008
oh wow...this is like a conspiracy theory complete with video games and bios issues....

Just try a new keyboard. It is almost definitely just a bad connection, or a key gets stuck down due to some dirt or what not under the key...

mtyermom

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007

According to the OP, he's tried different keyboards. If this is true, then it's a dinger of a problem.

@DarkRoy: I know you've said you reformatted recently, but not during this current session of troubleshooting. I know it sucks, but my suggestion is to try reformatting again and do a clean install of windows. If the problem persists, it would seem to narrow the problem down to the motherboard itself.

darkguset

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
To all those people insisting that it is the keyboard...
THE GUY HAS ALREADY TRIED DIFFERENT KEYBOARDS IN DIFFERENT PORTS AND THE PROBLEM REMAINS!
Are you blind or stupid or something?
He has said that at least twice...
So stop spamming with stupid responses and read what he is actually telling you before you start typing crap...
There you go... i let some steam off... hehe

TRENDING THREADS