Mushkin vs Crucial

bigmjh

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2008
I'm gathering stuff for my new build ... found a nice deal on Crucial Ballistix 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) at Newegg ($56 AR) - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...lickDeals-_-NA-_-NA-_-NA&Item=N82E16820148212

I'm using an Asus P5Q SE/R LGA 775 P45 with an Intel Q9550. My question - I had been considering Mushkin (which has been favorably recommended in here) but found this Crucial at a really good price and with some good reviews at Newegg.

Any comments? Recommendations?

G

if you get mushkin make sure you get Micro d9 chips

I had micron d9 chips and the ram was absolutely amazing... got a 50 % overclock on minor increase in timings....

and could get stable cas latencies in the 2... at over 600 mhz....

but it turns out one of the sticks was bad so I rma-ed, they no longer had those sticks in stock and sent me "faster" ram at almost a 50% higher clock speed... and well the ram plain sucks compared to my old ram

It isn't stable at ANYTHING but default everything... you cant downclock it AT ALL its so stupid... i'm thinking it may be a mobo compatibility thing because its so messed up

but crucial ballistix is pretty good and i would probably just get that as there isn't a guaranty you'll get micron d9 chips