Arctic Cooler Freezer 7 Pro Question

strike xx

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2009
Couldn't find the correct area to post this because it doesn't apply to OCing but... here's my question...

Well I bought the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro for my CPU for the PC I'm building and I would like to know. Would I be fine sticking with the pre-applied thermal compound or should I get AS5? I kind of don't want to buy AS5 but if it's totally needed then I will. The reason I ask is because I'm NOT overclocking my E8400 Core 2 Duo 3.0Ghz. Usually I see people applying the AS5 if they are doing heavy Ocing.

Thanks

strike xx

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2009
Thanks but now... I have another question... I was unboxing the Cooler today not to long ago and when I took it out I accidentally hit the plastic cover, covering the thermal paste on it and smudged it in the upper left hand corner a tiny bit. Not much so I don't think it will make a difference. I mean it didn't take off all the corner just if you were to hit you finger on the paste real lightly it just took a spec off. it made it a little smudged. The rest of the paste is in perfect condition the way it came. Thermal Paste spreads when heat is applied to it right?

overshocked

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2009
Thermal paste will loosen up when heat is applid yes.

But it really doesnt matter where you smudged it because the cores of the cpu (the things that get hot) are right in the middle, you will be fine.

strike xx

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2009
Thats good to hear. Well I had about $20 left over from the buying of my build in my Paypal account so I went ahead and bought some AS5. It will make a difference in Temps when I'm not OCing right? I just though it's better to have it in case I decide to OC later down the line.