Sign in with
Your question

Overclocking Lock on Non-Extreme Core i7 (Nehalem)?

Last response: in CPUs
September 3, 2008 2:14:35 AM

I've read conflicting reports on whether or not the non-extreme Bloomfield and Lynnfield will be locked, so as not to allow overclocking. Is it true that the $999 3.2Ghz edition is the only Nehalem incarnation able to be freely overclocked?
September 3, 2008 3:43:04 AM

scooterlibby said:
I've read conflicting reports on whether or not the non-extreme Bloomfield and Lynnfield will be locked, so as not to allow overclocking. Is it true that the $999 3.2Ghz edition is the only Nehalem incarnation able to be freely overclocked?

Anything you hear about this now one way or the other is just going to be an unsubstantiated rumor. Even if the lower end Nehalem's have locked multipliers they will still be able to be overclocked, but it will be more difficult. Remember, people have been overclocking AMD Athlons with locked multipliers for years.
a c 126 à CPUs
September 3, 2008 5:47:38 AM

Intel stated themselves that there will be no lock even on the lower end CPUs.

They have been showing off the 2.93GHz and 2.66GHz and have turbo mode which self OCs so it will be OCable.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
September 3, 2008 8:43:40 AM

Search the threads before posting, this has been beat to DEATH. Intel has stated what a good overclocker they will be.
a c 126 à CPUs
September 3, 2008 9:16:23 AM

If Nehalem all together is a good OCer why would Intel be stupid enough to lock any of them? They know that if they do AMD would jump on it and take over the smalle enthusiast crowd. Now it may be small but if every enthusiast gives advice to 5 people and they say "AMD is the better choice because it can be OCed better" what does that do?

Its just like servers. Nehalem goes out to the servers and it doesn't scale that well then the word gets spread. And in the end hurts Intels bottom line even if its just a little it still hurts.
September 3, 2008 9:17:43 AM

Only the extreme edition will have a completely unlocked multi - and thus easy to overclock. This is the only option that makes business sense to Intel.

The lower end i7's will be harder to overclock.
a c 126 à CPUs
September 3, 2008 9:30:28 AM

^Thats how its always been yet a Q6600 OC to 3GHz is as easy as just raising the FSB to 333MHz. And thats it.

Can people just stop guessing without any true knowledge? Lets just wait until a hardware site gets their hands on one and test the OC capabilities of it.
September 3, 2008 10:32:06 AM

It will oc, thank you. At this point, the arch is too unknown as to how easy/good it will be , plus all the variables invilved. Some sites are confusing things, like locking ram voltage to core voltage.Let them come out, as jimmy says, and then we will all know. But yes, oc is a rwal deal, even tho Id heard different from a reliable source. He was wrong, thank goodness
September 3, 2008 1:32:05 PM

BadTrip said:
Search the threads before posting, this has been beat to DEATH. Intel has stated what a good overclocker they will be.

I did, and have read different claims. Thanks everyone else for the response.
!