Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Windows Xp giving me a weird message at startup...WHY?!!

Last response: in Windows XP
November 19, 2010 12:43:50 AM

Hey guys,

I just started up the old computer to see how she was running. Everything was fine, went to run disk cleanup then the screen went black. So, I turned the computer off manually, restarted it and now I'm getting this weird message that reads:

"Windows could not start because the follow file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM\vgaoem.fon
You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the original Setup CD-ROM
Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair"

That's exactly what the message reads. I can start up BIOS, but when I go into there is there something I can tweak so that my computer will boot up to windows? I'm getting frustrated with this problem because I can't get around it.

Any input is greatly appreciated!

Thanks, guys.
November 19, 2010 2:27:48 AM

you need recovery disk or Restore,
Bad news install again WinXp fresh + Driver + Software
Score

Best solution

November 20, 2010 2:50:47 AM

You won't get anywhere with the BIOS, I'm thinking that your hard drive got damaged, or was damaged before you tried to do the disk cleanup. Windows will work around drive errors by marking sectors bad as it finds them and ignoring them. The issue with that, is that sometimes this just hides things for a while till something tries to read or write to the bad part of the disk and you get a crash.

Go into the BIOS and see if there is a drive check utility there, or S.M.A.R.T disk reporting, you can probably get at least some info about the hard drive with that. Not saying that your drive is bad for sure, just have seen "missing" file errors way too many times that were caused by a bad hard drive rather than some Windows OS issue.

Also, why don't you try what the message tells you and try to do a Repair from the XP disk? Just don't do a full restore yet, that's usually the very last thing to do and only after you get the data out of your drive using another PC. Plus if the drive is going bad, you would want to buy a new one first.
Related resources
December 19, 2010 5:44:21 AM

Best answer selected by buwish.
Score
December 19, 2010 10:33:07 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
Related resources
!