Safe temperatures for overclocking?

noro

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
My friend who has a lot of experience in building computers, says that you should never overclock past 10%. That sounds like a pile of crap to me. Shouldn't it be fine as long as you have a good cooler and the temps are fine? I have a core i7 920 too so it sounds like wasted potential to me if you decide not to OC it.

noro

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
What is the temperature where it starts to damage your CPU if left on for too long?

75c is generally good if it's stable right? Or is it possible to push it to 80c if needed?

CompuTronix

Intel Master
Overclocking is about understanding Intel's voltage and thermal specifications, and not exceeding them.

Core i7 specs - all variants:

Vcore Max 1.375
Tcase Max (CPU temp) 68c
Tjunction (Core temp) 73c

Read the Temp Guide.

Comp :sol:

overshocked

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2009
How to overclock the i7

1.) Change the memory mhz to the lowest posible ratio.

2.) Chang the "QPI link speed" to the lowest possible setting (if you have this) it may be reffered to as the "QPI multiplier" (the lowest should be around x36)

3.) Change the uncore multiplier to the lowest setting.(should be around x14) And again, you may not have this.

4.) Start increasing your reference clock in 10mhz increments (your reference clock should start at 133 mhz)

5.) Save the bios and restart your computer. If it all works out fine then you should be able to boot into windows and log in...

If it all works fine and you dont get a blue screen then you can go into the bios and raise the refference clock another 10mhz.

6.) Keep increasing the refference clock by 10 mhz until you get a blue screen... When this occurs go into the bios and raise the voltage a little bit.

You should raise the vcore in very small increments and keep rebooting and seeing if you can get logged in without a blue screen.

you should also raise the QPI vcore in small increments.

7.) Repeat the process until you get to the speed you wanted to achieve.

And it would help us to know what mobo you are using.

noro

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
Mobo is an Asus P6t Deluxe V2.

Thanks for the info, but afterwards what are the ideal temps if I overclock it to around 3.8GHz?

My cpu cooler is a Zalman CNPS9900LED btw