How does this look?

bothan_1138

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2008
Hi,

I am just wondering how this sounds. Ideally, I would like to be able to play high-end games (like crysis), as well as animation. So I need a computer that is powerful.

Specs:

AMD Athlon-64 FX-62 2.8Ghz
4GB DDR2 RAM PC-6400
1x500GB
1x300GB
Radeon 4870 512MB or 3870x2 1GB
Soundblaster X-Fi Xtreme Gamer
Wireless card
Asus M2N32-SLI Premium (this, the RAM and CPU i got from someone, thus why I am using them)
600W PSU

Now, I also need a new case, as well as some 'extras' to go with it. If I have money left over, I would be willing to buy a new mobo (What would any of you recommend?). As for the video card, which one would be better?

akhilles

Splendid
Those cards aren't even in the same league: RV770 VS RV670. FYI, AMD will release a HD4850X2 for about $400 and HD4870X2 for about $550. You can max out most every game with either card.

Do think about it. You want to play high-end games and you're getting the cpu & ram & mobo combo. You can't change the cpu/ram/mobo combo. The only thing you can change to affect gaming is the GPU.

akhilles

Splendid
You said that you got the cpu/ram/mobo combo and why are you thinking about dumping them? If that's the case, you shouldn't have accepted them.

ATI Radeon HD 4870 System Requirements
PCI Express® based PC is required with one X16 lane graphics slot available on the motherboard
500 Watt or greater power supply with two 75W 6-pin PCI Express® power connectors recommended (600 Watt and four 6-pin connectors for ATI CrossFireX™ technology in dual mode)

http://ati.amd.com/products/radeonhd4800/requirements.html

bothan_1138

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2008
I wasn't thinkng about dumping them when i got them. I bought the system which had a 500GB hd and an 8800GTS 320MB card. However, when i got it, during shipping it had gotten damaged. Video card and hd were both off the screws, and the case was bent (where the hd rests). There were pins that were bent on the mobo, but i managed to fix those. So the mobo, cpu and ram were the only things that were stull useable. Since we had insured it, when I get that money back, I will be able to buy new parts. Hoping to get the full $800 back. With that, I can buy some good, quality parts. But it looks like i'm going to keep the mobo/ram/cpu, and just buy the 4870 and a new hd.

Thanks for your advice!