What should I believe... CoreTemp or my BIOS???

Recently I was having problems with my temps. I suspected too much AS5, but my temps are about 2C or 3C less only.

It is far from the temperatures I got in CoreTemp and my BIOS. I really suspect a false reading from my motherboard since my 3 cores got the exact same reading. It`s not the first time I got false reading from my BIOS HWmonitor, it was also the case with my MSI K8N Neo2 platinum.

My specs are :

Phenom II X3 720 BE (4th core enabled)
OCZ Vendetta 2 cooler
OCZ OCZ3P16004GK DDR3 @ 1600
Asus M4A78T-E
Asus 4850 TOP in crossfire
OCZ ModXstream 700 W
Coolermaster Cosmos S
Sony BDUX10S Blu-Ray
HT Omega Striker

Also, I plan to OC... so which temp I should trust... the one in CoreTemp, or my BIOS?.

asusprobe.jpg

Solution
I don't know a great deal about AMD sensors or thermals. But the DTS will read from the core so it's going to provide a reading closer to the actual temperature than an external sensor, provided it isn't prone to alot of error like the old Brisbane core's DTS.
Ah man, I just reinstalled my HS to get to the exact same point. I will wait a month to see if my Thermal paste is showing the same result. If no, I will need to reinstall my HS again...

I really think that my crossfire setup an my DDR3 OC really fool the cpu thermal sensor on my motherboard.

I just figured it out why I was only reading a single core in Coretemp, but thanks.

Maybe you can help me out a little. In your opinion, what temperature should I trust...? My BIOS sensor or my DTS sensor?

On Coretemp site they told peoples that Coretemp was more appropriate for an accurate reading that a BIOS sensor could fluke out... should I believe it? Because I really tend to believe it, but I could be wrong.

randomizer

Champion
I don't know a great deal about AMD sensors or thermals. But the DTS will read from the core so it's going to provide a reading closer to the actual temperature than an external sensor, provided it isn't prone to alot of error like the old Brisbane core's DTS.

Solution

Mugz

Splendid
Oct 27, 2006
DTS is about the most reliable there.

Core and/or Realtemp should show more accurate readings than the BIOS, but just remember that the BIOS is only going to display the IDLE temp of the CPU, no load temps.

Speedfan... has anybody else picked up the issue with Speedfan crashing the SMBus?

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
BIOS temps will always be lower...think about it. Once you load into an OS, you are going to have more load on your system (even at idle) than you see in the >1mb BIOS that loads up. Often times, many of these programs read your BIOS temps...some just report it incorrectly due to differences in chip thermal deltas. Updates to this software usually fixes this...or you have crappy hardware sensors.

so your still unhappy about the 2-3C drop after applyin AS5?? then i would suggest dont get your hopes so high..cuz you'll fall down pretty quick
remember thermal paste only assists the cpu to heatsink for better conduct of heat..not to heavily rely on it..

My Core temp are really great, I am not complaining. But AS5 take 200 hours to show it`s true thermal conductivity.