The First USB 3.0 thumb drive

r_manic

Administrator
st_3_1.jpg

[Super Talent's] SuperSpeed USB 3.0 RAIDDRive comes in 32GB, 64GB and 128GB capacities and works with current USB 2.0 ports, but obviously at USB 2.0 speed. Plug it into a proper USB 3.0 port and it transfers data much, much faster, at up to a nominal 4.8Gb/s. It should be ten times faster than USB 2.0, which runs at up to 480Mb/s, and this will make a big difference to large data transfers.

Source

Apparently, the only mobo I know that supports USB 3.0 is Asus' P7P55D-E. Any others out there?

daft

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2008
currently, there are no other mobo's out there that have USB 3 built in. shame really.

though, i hope that there is at least a 2x difference in performance when you switch ports for that drive. otherwise, i see no reason to upgrade as of yet.

Gigabyte P55A models support USM3 and Sata 6. Uses a marvel Chip. Almost bought the P55A-UD4p as it is only $15 more than the P55-UD4p. (avail @ newegg)

Big negative is that if you enable it for USB3 and Sata6 you lose 2nd PCI-e slot and knock PCI-e first slot down from 16x to 8X.

Most USB flash drives have absolutely no need of USB 3.0 since they can't even saturate a USB 2.0 connection. Yet I'm sure they'll all end up moving into USB 3.0 packaging because people will think it somehow makes them faster. And they'll all claim a "peak" transfer speed of 4.8Gbit/sec which has nothing whatsoever to do with reality... :sarcastic: