Status
Not open for further replies.

asheesh1_2000

Distinguished
May 13, 2010
Whenever I try to Hibernate it throws me an error...

Driver ST123456789 is stopping from hibernating to take place.

When I checked that driver was of my SATA HD so I disabled that HD completely as my boot partition is on a PATA (1TB) HD.

But now the error is coming for the PATA driver which I clearly can not disable.

I am facing this error first time in my life with XP.

My config..

Win-XP Home Edition
4 GB RAM
AMD Hexacore
Rest you tell me what else you need pl.

Note : I am playing several games simultaneously and am at critical levels so no way I can not reinstall XP. I need Hibernation as my UPS is configured to Hibernate it if PC is running on UPS and battery is low.

Solution
Update your motherboard Driver !
try unchecking..enable hibernation..then apply
reboot go back and recheck it...this will create a new one in case its corrupt..it probably wont do anything but is worth a try.

Do you have any software installed that monitors your hard drive? if so go to msconfig..uncheck it reboot and try hibernation again

Do you have write caching for the disk enable if not try enabling it.
However do not check enhanced performance unless you have a battery back up
you have to shut off the hibernation, sleep, standby, many systems won't run it. It's a bug in XP. It causes problems when the computer wakes up from standby or hibernate.
Yes you can reinstall XP by doing a REPAIR install, that does not erase the files or programs. See this forum, fourth post from the top for directions. It does not re-format or erase the drive, but it will fix bugs.

asheesh1_2000

Distinguished
May 13, 2010

This did not solve my problem.

asheesh1_2000

Distinguished
May 13, 2010

I was hoping there would be some kind of driver update is required. This is the exact error which I get..

" The device driver for ST380011A device is preventing the machine from entering hibernation. Please close all applications and try again"

ST380011A is my SATA HDD. This is the first time I am getting this error though I have had this hdd since years.

Update your motherboard Driver !
try unchecking..enable hibernation..then apply
reboot go back and recheck it...this will create a new one in case its corrupt..it probably wont do anything but is worth a try.

Do you have any software installed that monitors your hard drive? if so go to msconfig..uncheck it reboot and try hibernation again

Do you have write caching for the disk enable if not try enabling it.
However do not check enhanced performance unless you have a battery back up

Solution

asheesh1_2000

Distinguished
May 13, 2010
Unfortunately my HDD had a bad sector which was replaced and I had to format. However now with fresh installation I am not able to make settings for Hibernate properly.

I remember I saw the Hibernate TAB also among the top tabs of "Power Schemes", "Advacned", "UPS" etc which is no longer there but in the power options when I go to the drop down of "When I press the power button ..." I see an option of Hibernate there

So now when I select the hibernate option and press apply ok, it resets automatically itself to standby.

Status
Not open for further replies.