AMD, Nvidia Conspire to Price Fixing; Sued

Now where is thunderman to proclaim AMDs innocence?

I guess if it is true and they are both found guilty then BM will have to look elsewhere to buy his GPUs since he states he wont buy from a company that uses "dirty" tactics.

spud

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001

We can only hope he boycotts computers all together.

Word, Playa.

invisik

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2008
im happy there getting sued they charge way to much for high end cards. ati only dropped prices to remain competitive and nvidia jacked the prices of there gtx280 to 650$ now u can find them for 400$ and sometimes even cheaper after rebate. they could of sold for 550$ at start but no.
I think amd is only selling the 4series 4850/4870 cheap to make them look innocent. just my opinion.
=]

When I had my business, we also conspired together. We selflessly promoted our area in unionship manner. The cpu currently isnt what it was then. The companies wetre ATI and nVidia then, AMD nVidia now. Intel knows that cpus have reached an edge for growth, and theres much more money to be had in graphics. Wow, amagine 2 companies getting together to promote their product! How eevile! They should at least be taken out and flogged. I hope Intel never gets the graphics promotion thing together with eother of these companies, someone could suspect them too! This sounds like something coming out of California, and San Francisco to boot. Wheres the slap down for Toms pushing this drivel? Its already been thrown out once, itll happen again. Good drama tho, but I still wish Toms hadnt printed this...shame

Malovane

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2008
If you bothered to take a look at the court evidence, the alleged price fixing began in 2003 and ended in 2006. AMD bought ATI in late 2006.

the title is misleading and ignorant, this is about ati and nvidia, i ain't defending amd just that i don't like ati being called amd, they aint.

Here is the thing though.... AMD bought ATI thus anything that happens now is on AMDs shoulders. So even if it was ATI then since the lawsuit is now its on AMD and will end up making them look bad.

spuddyt

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2007
or maybe to out compete Nvidia.... did you think of that?
I didn't see much hard evidence in that "proof" of them conspiring
edit: you people post too fast, that was in response to invisik

Hellboy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007
Hey Thunderman,,

Now that your AMD are innocent claims are over.......

Please divert attention to MB Games Simon and press the colours in the appropiate order....

And dont worry, AMD BE happy...

AMD are evil, these are the Anti Christ..

Intel are not with out their sins, AMD has commited cardinal this time.

Praise the pipeline..

Intel for Life

AMD for Wife

by the look of the -3 its Thunderman again and his bunch of phonies

invisik

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2008

well even if its not true i think the prices of gpu r still quite expensive. nvidia pissed me off with there 650$ gtx280.
=]
the 4series is little to cheap i dont no y ati sold it that cheap even to be competitive.

Hellboy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007
Oh thats why AMD paid 6 Trillion dollars for ATI.....

They thought they were getting 12 trillion of 1950gtx's

Wow, that was a bargain......

Bad Hellboy - must stop pressing the sarcasm button.

particleman

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
Again......this is all alleged. I am not saying that they are not guilty.....but until the proceeding is completed, we can only watch and see.

Dont condem because some one says they are guilty. Let everything pan out.

Cheers,

-PM

So Intel is giving Universities money to research multithreading in the hopes of possibly allowing programs to make use of the CPU power we have today and thats a bad thing?

Oh I agree. But it just goes to show that any company is capable of being guilty of anti-trust, even AMD.

This also shows that there is no 100% moral company. Remember they only worry about their bottom line.

Im just coming up with potential conspircy theories for Toms future articles. If you look at it juuuuust right, Intel must be doing some eeevile, colluding with those universities, especially the ones NOT from California

are you actually serious?

A company such as AMD in a major acquisition (like the one with ATI) would most like purchase liability insurance with an 'occurrence' clause to cover any unfunded liabilities that arise in litigation.

Now, whether they may have missed a payment or two on their insurance premium .... could be up for question :ouch:

Malovane

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2008

You assume that something being good for the bottom line is immoral. One does not equate to the other.

For instance, AMD/ATI released their 4xxx series with a much lower price tag than they could have. Why? Well, there are lots of good reasons.

Number one is that PC gaming has been sliding with the prevalence of consoles. On the release of the GTX280, people could buy an entire PS3 for less than the cost of that single card.. and they would have more games to choose from with a console. Now even MMORPG's are making the move to console.. and that's really PC gaming's last real hope. Decent pricing of video cards will EXPAND the market and bring computer gaming back from the brink. This is good for consumers who are now offered more choice in the matter, and all lovers of PC gaming.

A second reason is that they want to regain some market share from Nvidia. Does this hurt consumers? Well, seeing the troubles with Nvidia's "Soldergate" and that the documents presented in this price fixing evidence showed the thing was being coordinated by Nvidia.. I can pretty much say that AMD getting the abundant market share would be pretty good for consumers.

AMD has been a driving force in the processor industry for many years, and their technology (and IBM's) really has been crucial to the developments in PC's in the past decade. Much of what they have done has been win-win for consumers and the industry as a whole. Now... you say AMD is an evil company because they care about their bottom line? They just barely warded off bankruptcy for gods sake. How are they going to bring us nice tech goodies without any income for 7 straight quarters? Hell, I care about their bottom line.

And this whole thread is ludicrous.. blaming AMD for something ATI (allegedly) did that Nvidia was orchestrating at a time when ATI wasn't even owned by AMD.

Wait, i have to send a letter to these scum sucking, bottom feeding, shyster pieces of snot garbage so i can be excluded from having them represent me? That is really screwed up, they have no interest in me, they only have interest in screwing people so they can line their frigging pockets. You ever have a 3 minute conversation with a lawyer and then get charged $200 for crappy off the cuff advice ? Well i have and i'd rather have an ATI or nVidia GPU any day of the week. Low life lawyers suck.