Corsair VX550 to low?

Hey guys

Just a Quick Question when i got my pc i brought a Corsair VX550 and i was told using this psu with my system would run my system np but i couldn't (OC much)if at all
system is
Corsair VX550=psu
Phenom II X3 TripleCore 720 2.8=cpu--with cpu cooler=i tried overclocking my cpu to 3.6ghz wich works fine other than occasional freeze wich i think is psu related but read on lol
GA-MA770-US3=mobo
12 gig ram ddr2-1066=ram
Enterprise NCQ 500GB=HDD
HIS ATI Radeon HD4890 1Gb O/C=VGA
22 inch benq monitor
-- so the question is im upgrading to a
Phenom II X4 QuadCore 955 3.2 8mb cache Boxed Socket AM3 - 125w - Black Edition

will having this new cpu push the psu to limit and also would it not give enough power for the cpu to overclock it i wanna try for 4ghz
i mean if not ill bye the
Antec TruePower Quattro 1000w wich is SLi & Crossfire ready, 80+ certified :Pwich im sure will give enough for juice for 2x 4890 and cpu so forth ?
10 answers Last reply
More about corsair vx550
  1. The VX550 should nicely, even with the upgrade and overclocking.
  2. really :O
    so i was lied to ?
  3. viper200 said:
    really :O
    so i was lied to ?

Maybe just misinformed.
    Try the PSU calculator, and remember it gives a wattage reccomendation for a psu that will run your components, not actual power use.
    http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp
  4. With 41A on the 12V rail you have a ton of power at your disposal. You don't even have a second video card pulling power.
  5. Pfft yeah, im on a 650W corsair bro and im running sli gtx 280's and a core i7 @ 3.5ghz.
  6. You're fine. How are you using the 12GB though? You only have 4 slots for RAM.
  7. oooohhh the infamous PSU calc.....

I agree, you have power to spare......
  8. cjl said:
    You're fine. How are you using the 12GB though? You only have 4 slots for RAM.

4GB modules?
  9. Who is putting out 4GB 1066 modules? New to me.
  10. Yea, just a hinch.... Didnt realize that they 4GB modules max out @ 800Mhz......
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Corsair Overclocking