Sign in with
Your question

Norton Ghost 10 problems

Last response: in Storage
November 16, 2009 2:04:59 PM

I have been running Ghost 10 for several years w/o troubles. A few days ago I realized it had not done a scheduled backup in 40 days. I tried to manually do a backup and after it got about 70-80% completed, I get this error message:

-Error EC8F17B7: Cannot create recovery points for job: Recovery point of C:\.
--Error E7C3000F: Device \\.\SymantecSnapshot0 cannot read 4096 sectors starting at LBA 96214872.
---Error EBAB03F1: A device attached to the system is not functioning.

The destination drive is a 2nd internal HD. I have run scndsk and it found no problems. I have gone so far as to reformat the destination drive and I have uninstalled Ghost and re-installed it, with no luck. Today, I tried to do a backup to an external HD and got the same exact error message. I have not changed any thing on the system.
Any thoughts?

More about : norton ghost problems

a b G Storage
November 18, 2009 4:06:38 AM

There's probably something wrong with the connection between your hard disk and your motherboard. Your second hard disk is a recent install?
m
l
November 18, 2009 12:39:49 PM

No, I've had it for years. After I posted, I tried doing a backup to an external HD with the same result and same error message.
m
l
November 20, 2009 7:35:52 PM

Ok, now I am totally frustrated. To recap, Ghost runs until 95% complete and then I get the error message
Error EC8F17B7: Cannot create recovery points for job: Complete System Backup.
>
Error E7C3000F: Device \\.\SymantecSnapshot0 cannot read 4096 sectors starting at LBA 96215216.
>
Error EBAB03F1: A device attached to the system is not functioning.

I haven't changed any hardware. After the copy didn't work to the 2nd internal HD, I hooked up a USB external HD and got the same results with the same error message. I completely removed all Norton products on my computer using the Norton removal tool, then reinstalled Ghost. Same errors when trying a back up to either HD.
Thinking it must be a Norton Ghost problem, I uninstalled it again and downloaded Drive Image XML. I ran that twice, once to the internal drive and a second time to the ext HD. I get a similar error message "A device attached to the system is not functioning" on both tries.

Anybody got ideas?
m
l
!