Sign in with
Your question

Two different RAM sizes and frequencies are not advisable?

Last response: in Memory
October 5, 2008 9:08:28 AM

Hi TomsHardware Experts, good day. :) 

I asked my friend last week about memory. I asked him if it's ok if I can mix two different RAM sizes and frequencies in my motherboard. He answered NO because it can cause damage or burn to my memory and every gold contacts in the memory has its own voltage. He said also that the gold contacts will turn to black. Not all contacts but some contacts will turn black color it's because mixing two different sizes and frequencies can cause burn to my memory.

Questions:
1. Is it true that mixing two different sizes and frequencies can cause damage or burn to my memory? and Why?
2. Two different RAM sizes and frequencies are not advisable?
a b } Memory
October 5, 2008 10:09:58 AM

1.) Mixing RAM sizes cannot damage memory. Mixing RAM rated speeds is unlikely to damage memory, because the entire memory bus will slow down to the speed of the slowest module.
2.) Two RAM sizes is OK, but if you're trying to run dual-channel mode, you'd need a pair of each size. Two RAM speeds can be done, but causes the faster memory to run slower.
October 6, 2008 12:03:01 PM

Is it true that it can cause burn to my memory gold contacts and it will turn to black? Not all contacts but some contacts will turn black color it's because of mixing two different RAM frequencies.
Related resources
a b } Memory
October 6, 2008 12:05:33 PM

1.) Mixing RAMram sizes cannot damage memory. Mixing RAM rated speeds is unlikely to damage memory, because the entire memory bus will slow down to the speed of the slowest module.
October 6, 2008 1:06:05 PM

AND you must put the slowest ram in the first set of connectors,that will set the speed for the system..:) 
October 6, 2008 3:17:14 PM

Thanks Sir Crashman and dook2. :) 
!