How do I stop the CD disk menu appearing - permanently?

August 25, 2005 1:32:11 PM

Every time I fire up a CD drive or an external HDD I get the annoying
options screen inviting me to choose between several tasks.

I always access these devices from Explorer and I want to turn off -
permanently - these other options such as the one like "Windows can perform
the same action each time you insert a disk or connect a device with this
kind of file" screen.

Can some one advise me how to do this?

Please help, Frank
Anonymous
August 25, 2005 1:32:12 PM

Doug Knox has the solution here depending on your version
Disable CD autoplay, completely, in Windows XP Home
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/cd_autoplay_home.htm

To Disable CD autoplay, completely, in Windows XP Pro
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/cd_autoplay_pro.htm

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

"Frank Martin" <paul@colonel.com.au> wrote in message
> Every time I fire up a CD drive or an external HDD I get the annoying
> options screen inviting me to choose between several tasks.
>
> I always access these devices from Explorer and I want to turn off -
> permanently - these other options such as the one like "Windows can
> perform the same action each time you insert a disk or connect a device
> with this kind of file" screen.
>
> Can some one advise me how to do this?
>
> Please help, Frank

Anonymous
August 25, 2005 1:32:12 PM

Frank Martin wrote:
> Every time I fire up a CD drive or an external HDD I get the annoying
> options screen inviting me to choose between several tasks.
>
> I always access these devices from Explorer and I want to turn off -
> permanently - these other options such as the one like "Windows can perform
> the same action each time you insert a disk or connect a device with this
> kind of file" screen.
>
> Can some one advise me how to do this?
>
> Please help, Frank

A really easy method is TweakUI has some other handy features too.
Get it here. Make sure you get the 32 bit version.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/...

gls858
Anonymous
August 25, 2005 7:42:50 PM

"Frank Martin" <paul@colonel.com.au> wrote in message
> Every time I fire up a CD drive or an external HDD I get the annoying
> options screen inviting me to choose between several tasks.
>
> I always access these devices from Explorer and I want to turn off -
> permanently - these other options such as the one like "Windows can
> perform the same action each time you insert a disk or connect a device
> with this kind of file" screen.
>
> Can some one advise me how to do this?
>
> Please help, Frank

** Thanks for the replies......*