MOBO
-----------------------------
GIGABYTE GA-EP35-D3SL LGA775

RAM
OCZ PLATINUM 4 GB (2 x 2GB)

HDD
WESTERN DIGITAL 500 GB 7200 RPM SATA 3GB/s (OEM)

CASE
BLACK ROSEWILL MID ATX

GPU
EVGA GeForce 8800GT 512MB 256-BIT GDDR3 PCI-E X16

PSU
CORSAIR ATX 550W 20+24 PIN

MONITOR
SAMSUNG 943N High Gloss Black 19" 5ms LCD Monitor

SPEAKERS
Creative GigaWorks T20 28 W 2.0 Speaker

CD/DVD DRIVES
LITE-ON 20X DVD+/-R DVD BURNER SATA

TV TUNER
Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1250 PCI-E x1 INTERFACE

KEYBOARD & MOUSE
Logitech 967557-0403 Silver/Black USB + PS/2 RF Wireless Slim Cordless Desktop S 510 Mouse Included

So this is my first build.. I'm not sure whether or not I should go through with this. Oh and another thing, to keep from static damage, I could just keep touching the inside of the case or the outside of the psu to ground myself right?

Also, I realize I haven't posted this in an easy-to-read way, but I'll update it later.

ausch30

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007
I would also suggest the 4850 but either way I think you should change the motherboard to a P45 rather than P35. Other than that it looks good.

I don't know what you are expecting or would like, but it's a decent inexpensive build. I'm not a big fan of wireless keyboards and mice. I used a Logitech combo like that at one time and gave it away. Now I use a G15 Kb and G5 mouse... but that of course is more cash.

If you have the cash, your case and power supply are two things that should be bought with future builds in mind. If you pay more now it will save money on the next build. There is nothing exactly wrong with either of your choices though, and if you are scraping by on price stick to it.

Make sure you have any fans needed in the case, and understand how to correctly install thermal paste.

Get a CPU cooler. Intel stock coolers are junk and having your CPU running cooler is an important way to protect your investment.

Yes, don't stand on carpet, touch the metal frame of your case often. Dry air creates static. No air conditioners... it's not really that hard. In the summer especially static is at a minimum.

kad

Distinguished
Feb 29, 2008

ausch30

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007

I agree with that but the reason I would suggest the P45 is if a year or so down the road he wants to upgrade his video and nothing else he will already have the bandwidth of PCI-E 2.0 available. Since there isn't much price difference between the boards then I think it's more wise to go with the P45.

ausch30

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007

I don't know if you were referencing my comments or something else but there are P45 boards with one 16x slot and I was talking about replacing the card not adding to it. The P5Q-E would be my suggestion

sanjiwatsuki

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2007

I'm just saying that if replacing is your intentions, perhaps it would be more cost effective to use the P43 chipset. It is the same as the P45, except lacking an PCI-E 2.0 8x slot.