Sign in with
Your question

Finally Finished with new build but...problems

Last response: in Systems
July 11, 2008 7:30:49 AM

So I just finished building my new system.. finally. It was an upgrade by the way. I changed my motherboard to an X38 P5E3 Deluxe Intel Motherboard, 2GB of OCZ DDR3 RAM, 2 4850's in Crossfire, a Quad Core Intel Q9450, a Thermaltake Blue Orb 2 Heatsink, A 550 watt Power supply, and then a 450 watt dedicated power supply for the graphics cards. I also have a 26 inch 1900x1200 monitor.

Anyways, when I first started up my computer, all went well, I updated the BIOS, restarted, and then came to a screen that gave me several choices of ways to start my computer. Each way I tried to start it would get to the beginning of the VISTA loading bar screen and then restart again. I took up the other option of putting in my VISTA disc and trying to repair it, but when I was done it said that it failed to repair my computer. I also scanned my RAM and hard drive already.. no problems there. Anyone have any ideas.. I have no clue at this point.

Thanks in advance,
Zman4700
July 11, 2008 7:50:05 AM

If you haven't overclocked anything, I'm a little bit at a loss. If you have overclocked, put it back at default, loosen RAM timings and try again.

Otherwise, I'd reformat and reinstall. If that still doesn't work, look for an XP install disk that you know works to try to rule a faulty install disk out.
July 11, 2008 7:52:37 AM

Yeah I haven't tried to overclock it yet, why an XP disc over VISTA?
Related resources
July 11, 2008 8:04:55 AM

Meh, if you have another Vista install disc that works, try that. I just feel more comfortable with XP, and it seems more likely that you'd have an older OS laying around as "extra". In short - no good reason. :) 
July 11, 2008 8:13:03 AM

Well before I take your advice, there is one thing that I found interesting, when my computer is on, there are red lights next to each of my graphics cards, could that mean anything?
a c 113 B Homebuilt system
July 11, 2008 8:23:00 AM

I certainly wouldn't hurt to take out the second card until you have things working. You generally cannot switch out motherboards without repairing or re-installing the OS.

It's by far the best thing to reformat and do a fresh installation.
July 11, 2008 9:05:08 AM

I bet that you are using your old HDD with everything installed on it
It's not gonna work
You have to format and install everything and start from scratch
Be aware that you'll loose everything on your old HDD
July 11, 2008 9:20:04 AM

Oh really, you have to wipe everything on your hard drive in order to get this to work? Can anyone confirm this, I just want to make sure because I am driving to use my old hard drive. If it is true, how do I go about wiping it and starting from scratch.
Thanks
July 11, 2008 9:39:42 AM

zman4700 said:
Oh really, you have to wipe everything on your hard drive in order to get this to work? Can anyone confirm this, I just want to make sure because I am driving to use my old hard drive. If it is true, how do I go about wiping it and starting from scratch.
Thanks

In Bios set you 1st boot device as your CD writer/DVD Rom or whatever drive you have
Insert your OS CD
start installation from scratch as if installing OS for the first time
Again be careful, you'll loose every thing on that drive, photos, albums, data,.....everything
Backup any important data first on another HDD, CD, DVD before you start
July 11, 2008 10:25:09 AM

Are you sure this is the reason my computer isn't booting?
July 11, 2008 10:42:57 AM

zman4700 said:
Are you sure this is the reason my computer isn't booting?

From what you explained your OS is not loading and it is different from system not booting
In your case your system is booting well but OS is not loading and need fresh install
July 11, 2008 7:27:29 PM

Is there any way to do this without deleting everything on my hard drive?
July 11, 2008 7:50:54 PM

Zman,
you built your first computer? the one before the motherboard upgrade? If so, you know that CD that comes with the MB? It has the MB drivers for the chipset, etc. These are installed on your Hard drive, so the OS knows how to talk to the MB. If you pull your drive out and plug it into a new MB - when the OS loads it tries to use the drivers for your old MB to talk to an X38 MB. Not going to work. Backup your data and re-install. OR get a new HD to install onto and then after everything is setup, plug up your old HD and you should be able to access folders on it to move the data to the new HD. Then when you have moved your data, reformat the old one just so you dont have Vista installed on 2 HDs. Oh and be ready to call Microsoft when you go to activate Vista again. The online activation will fail as you changed out MB's. Doesnt take to long, they really just want you to tell them that you only have Vista installed on one machine. Just tell them the old MB failed and you had to get a new one. The give you a long series of numbers to activate it. At least my retail copy of Vista Ultimate has required this the last 2 times I upgraded MB's.
July 11, 2008 10:56:14 PM

+1 for occdavid

Vista is attempting to load drivers for you old mobo chipset and your old GPU, You should have still been able to load vista into Safe-mode AFAIK as it uses general drivers.

The Vista disc wouldnt repair anything because there is nothing wrong with the Vista installation.

As for reinstall, getting a second HDD and installing it on there is the best way IMHO, but if you cant be prepared to loose anything on the Desktop and my documents, not sure if Vista will do a Windows.old like it does when you install it on top of XP.
July 12, 2008 6:03:03 PM

zman4700 said:
Well before I take your advice, there is one thing that I found interesting, when my computer is on, there are red lights next to each of my graphics cards, could that mean anything?

My ASUS P5K has a feature that displays a light next to a card if it is not fitted correctly. Check your cards.
!