Sign in with
Your question

My CPU cooler is dying - suggestions welcome for replacement.

Last response: in Overclocking
July 24, 2009 9:53:15 PM

I may or may not actually overclock, but having that option available is a plus.

I have a Q6600 that is running 54-57c on all cores under load.

I have a CPU cooler that is making random squeaking noises. It's still spinning, but I won't rely on that cooler to keep it doing that for long.

My specs:

CoolerMaster RC-690 case
ASUS P5N-D
Q6600
2x9600GT
4GB Crucial Ballistix DDR2 800MHz 4-4-4-12

The coolers I'm looking at right now are the CoolerMaster V8 (yes, it will fit in my case) and the Corsair H50.

Are there any other air or water coolers in the sub-$100 range I should consider?

Thanks for the help.
a b à CPUs
a c 86 K Overclocking
July 25, 2009 4:10:21 AM

Here is a great link, spend some time on it. The H50 is a high end air replacement setup. You'll get no better temps from it over a high end air cooler. Lots of H50 discussion on other forums, we pretty much know it's capabilities. It's got liquid in it, but it's NOT considered a real WC system. It just doesn't have the cooling capability of a WC loop. Your looking at $200+ for real WC just to start.

Anyway, here is a great link to read.
http://www.frostytech.com/
Related resources
July 25, 2009 6:19:14 AM

Xigamtek Dark Knight, or Scythe Mugen 2. Aside from the CCF that overshocked always lists. :p 
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 25, 2009 6:34:31 AM

AKM880 said:
Xigamtek Dark Knight, or Scythe Mugen 2. Aside from the CCF that overshocked always lists. :p 

All of them are great and will perform within a couple of degrees of eachother. :) 
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 25, 2009 10:08:55 AM

overshocked said:
All of them are great and will perform within a couple of degrees of eachother. :) 

I know Xigmatek doesn't fit some motherboards due to the heat pipe shape, so I quit recommending it.

I can't possibly test fit it to EVERY board on the market to find out how many it doesn't fit.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 25, 2009 12:51:13 PM

Crashman said:
I know Xigmatek doesn't fit some motherboards.

The CCF doesn't either, due to the distance between the base and fins, I had to clip a couple pins off the NB HS on an Asus Rampage to mount it, the Xig 1284 fit with no modifications.
July 25, 2009 4:31:09 PM

This is why I love these forums.

Thank you all for the advice. I'll be getting the CCF.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 25, 2009 4:56:00 PM

hehe, i didnt answer this thread because i was waiting on overclocked to do it.

the guy has a firm grasp on current cpu coolers.
July 25, 2009 5:34:09 PM

I also just read a review on the H50 that makes me glad I came here to ask first...

In order to facilitate maximum cooling, you have to set it up to pull air into the case and across the rad.

I don't know about you guys, but I'm not much of a fan of intentionally adding extra warm air to the inside of my case.
a b à CPUs
a c 86 K Overclocking
July 25, 2009 5:48:17 PM

The H50 is pretty neat. It cools as well as any other high end air heatsink. in the real watercooling world we don't consider it a watercooling setup. Sure it has liquid, but real watercooling is to get lower temps than what an air cooler can do. At MUCH higher cost and complexity.

My CPU loop cost me about $300. It's an i7965. It loads at the mid 50's with OCCt Linpack mode, with room temp at 84F. My GPU loop cost me $550+. Two GTX280's loads with furmark at 1680x1050 8x MSAA in the mid 50's. And this is on Medium speed fans turned down to medium. So it's very very quiet.

My latest rig:
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=604016

Thats what real WC does.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 25, 2009 7:00:29 PM

darth meatloaf said:
I also just read a review on the H50 that makes me glad I came here to ask first...

In order to facilitate maximum cooling, you have to set it up to pull air into the case and across the rad.

I don't know about you guys, but I'm not much of a fan of intentionally adding extra warm air to the inside of my case.

The way you want to mount the h50 is to pull air into the system through it then have a fan right above the cpu socket blowint the hot air out.

It gets much lower temps than anything else. and you dont get much higher in case temps (according to my thermometers)
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 25, 2009 7:06:04 PM

neon neophyte said:
hehe, i didnt answer this thread because i was waiting on overclocked to do it.

the guy has a firm grasp on current cpu coolers.

Who?
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 25, 2009 7:19:13 PM

oops lol. overshocked!
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 25, 2009 7:20:14 PM

^lol thx
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 25, 2009 9:49:47 PM

delluser1 said:
The CCF doesn't either, due to the distance between the base and fins, I had to clip a couple pins off the NB HS on an Asus Rampage to mount it, the Xig 1284 fit with no modifications.

Here's one with the fins pre-clipped, it fit everything I tried it against (dozens of boards).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
July 25, 2009 10:28:19 PM

Conumdrum said:
The H50 is pretty neat. It cools as well as any other high end air heatsink. in the real watercooling world we don't consider it a watercooling setup. Sure it has liquid, but real watercooling is to get lower temps than what an air cooler can do. At MUCH higher cost and complexity.

My CPU loop cost me about $300. It's an i7965. It loads at the mid 50's with OCCt Linpack mode, with room temp at 84F. My GPU loop cost me $550+. Two GTX280's loads with furmark at 1680x1050 8x MSAA in the mid 50's. And this is on Medium speed fans turned down to medium. So it's very very quiet.

My latest rig:
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=604016

Thats what real WC does.

Whoa. Thats a beautiful rig Conundrum, great job. Hows that Sunbeam Fan Controller, I wanted to get one but am sorta leaning towards the Scythe Kaze (I think its called)
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 25, 2009 10:33:21 PM

Crashman said:
Here's one with the fins pre-clipped, it fit everything I tried it against (dozens of boards).

Looks good,cost less than the Xig and bracket.
I never even thought of looking to Rosewill for a cooler.
I like the idea that it's cut out for a push/pull configuration , mounting a second fan on the CCF or Xig can be a pain.
a b à CPUs
a c 86 K Overclocking
July 25, 2009 10:47:25 PM

The sunbeam rheobus is under $20, seen it for under $15 on sale. Handles
1 3 yate loons meduims
2 3 yate loon meduims
3 1 yate loon meduim for HD
4 2 92mm for mosfets.

Stoopid LEDS are way to bright, painted them. For a basic one, it can't be beat. Popular and cheap. If I was running massive fannage I'd get something else.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 25, 2009 10:52:11 PM

Conumdrum said:
The sunbeam rheobus is under $20, seen it for under $15 on sale. Handles
1 3 yate loons meduims
2 3 yate loon meduims
3 1 yate loon meduim for HD
4 2 92mm for mosfets.

Stoopid LEDS are way to bright, painted them. For a basic one, it can't be beat. Popular and cheap. If I was running massive fannage I'd get something else.

You'd better edit the spelling of medium before someone comes along and says you obviously can't be trusted any more than your spelling.
a b à CPUs
a c 86 K Overclocking
July 25, 2009 11:00:53 PM

This is the cooler I'm using.
http://www.jab-tech.com/Sunbeam-5-1-4-Rheobus-Kit-BLACK...
Good store to buy from too.

Yes, 9 fans in total. Look at the link and once you got the wattage rating on the fan you can see I'm under it per channel.
http://www.petrastechshop.com/12yalod1cafa1.html

How dare you try to correct me you old man! Crashman, I know I silled it right, I Goggled it while stuck in my parents basement, I have no friends, I have time, many many eons of years left than you do old man!
a b à CPUs
a c 86 K Overclocking
July 25, 2009 11:19:01 PM

I don't use new egg to shop much and I don't trust the reviews on newegg, too many first time fools posting reviews, so I'm bowing out of this. I buy whats proven and trusted

I buy what other experianced overclockers talk about on forums and read non-biased test reviews. I'm not a fan of ANY retail "my stuff is best, buy my stuff" words. It could take me two weeks to decide on a part. Slow down.......
July 25, 2009 11:23:26 PM

Haha, thanks for the advice Conundrum. When I first saw you say Sunbeam Rheobus Fan Controller I thought of this one : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I didn't really liked how it looked, but the one you found on jab-tech looked alot better (with LEDs). Other than jaab-tech what are some good sites that you like to use and that sell good overclocker's/modders/enthusiast parts?
a b à CPUs
a c 86 K Overclocking
July 25, 2009 11:40:38 PM

LOL he did that!
July 25, 2009 11:50:53 PM

Thank you Conundrum, you've been a great help. Still finishing reading up on your WC guide :D 
a b à CPUs
a c 86 K Overclocking
July 26, 2009 1:09:50 AM

Once you read that, the real info is in the forums in the links, joining forums and reading everything you can. The guides can only take you so far.

Three months on 4 forums before I even decided on what to buy.
a b à CPUs
a c 86 K Overclocking
July 26, 2009 1:41:24 AM

Poof and he's gone, yaaa!
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 26, 2009 2:54:26 AM

^ Saw that coming.
July 26, 2009 11:10:14 AM

Ok, who's gonna be the first to review the Rosewill hsf???
July 27, 2009 2:43:44 AM

I understand that some of you find Newegg's customer reviews to be questionable at best, but I found a gem in the middle of the crap that a few of you might find interesting:

"Cons: I found that with the fan installed as intended, because of the shape of the fins much of the air goes out the side of the HS instead of completely through it. I applied some 2' aluminum heat tape to the sides of the heatsink, forcing the air from the fan to go more completely through the entire heat sink. This gave me an additional 4' to 6' degrees of cooling at max CPU operations."

the url: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=3...

I did a search of the reviews of the CCF on Newegg to see if anyone that had the same Motherboard as me had tried it out. I got just this one hit, and it was a 4-egg review. I know enough about heat transfer to know that he's not full of crap, but I was wondering if anyone here had an opinion on the matter. (that means you, Overshocked...)
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 27, 2009 2:59:19 AM

darth meatloaf said:
I understand that some of you find Newegg's customer reviews to be questionable at best, but I found a gem in the middle of the crap that a few of you might find interesting:

"Cons: I found that with the fan installed as intended, because of the shape of the fins much of the air goes out the side of the HS instead of completely through it. I applied some 2' aluminum heat tape to the sides of the heatsink, forcing the air from the fan to go more completely through the entire heat sink. This gave me an additional 4' to 6' degrees of cooling at max CPU operations."

I did a search of the reviews of the CCF on Newegg to see if anyone that had the same Motherboard as me had tried it out. I got just this one hit, and it was a 4-egg review. I know enough about heat transfer to know that he's not full of crap, but I was wondering if anyone here had an opinion on the matter. (that means you, Overshocked...)

HAHHA, that is pretty funny because i did the exact same thing and got a about 4 degrees cooler on the CCF, i did it with aluminum sheets though, not copper.

He is right. It is great to have a fan cover like that. I have noticed after lapping and installing a second fan with a fan cover the cpu cooler is about 6-8 degrees cooler than i had it before, it is a good idea unless you are doing a bench session when you have like 10 fans pointing at the HSF (like when i got to 4.93 GHz)
July 27, 2009 3:06:13 AM

Well, my questions about my CPU cooler have been more than answered, time to buy.

I'm gonna sneak in one more question for you, Overshocked...

For my pair of 9600GT cards - does anyone make an aftermarket high(ish) performance air cooler for those, or is my next step in cooling going to be water?

EDIT: To be clear, my main priority is evacuating the heat generated by my GPUs from the case more efficiently, so as to lower the temp inside my case...
July 27, 2009 3:09:41 AM

LOL wow I have almost the same rig with the exception of CPU, mine is Q6700. I also posted the same question on around 7/20 since my cpu cooler is also dying and one of the pins broke so the temps on one core can be excessive so I have stoped using the rig untill the new cooler is shipped. I ordered this Friday morning from Newegg and was hopping that they would ship it the same day but the only thing they did is "verify my payment" lol. Anyway can't wait so i can have the rig up and running again.

By the way any suggestions on cooling the TOP 9600gt since its hotter by 10 deg Celcius than the bottom one. They are both two slot cards and are very close to eachother.
July 27, 2009 3:11:28 AM

And again lol, while i was typing "darth meathloaf" asked my question sorry for doube post then.

darth meathloaf, how many fans do you have instaled in your case and where?

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 27, 2009 3:22:27 AM

darth meatloaf said:
Well, my questions about my CPU cooler have been more than answered, time to buy.

I'm gonna sneak in one more question for you, Overshocked...

For my pair of 9600GT cards - does anyone make an aftermarket high(ish) performance air cooler for those, or is my next step in cooling going to be water?

EDIT: To be clear, my main priority is evacuating the heat generated by my GPUs from the case more efficiently, so as to lower the temp inside my case...

Using an aftermarket gpu cooler will not drop the temperatures of the case because almost all of them will evacuate the air into the case.

And like i have said many times, i dont like water cooling, it is to expensive for what it is when you could buy a phase change for the same price.

Air cooling will get you extremely similar temperatures to water.
The only after market GPU cooler i have used and have heard many good things about was this one

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/6540/vid-99/Thermalta...

you can pick it up at frys if you have one near you, it should drop your GPU temps to 45c
July 27, 2009 3:24:45 AM

syche9876 said:
And again lol, while i was typing "darth meathloaf" asked my question sorry for doube post then.

darth meathloaf, how many fans do you have instaled in your case and where?

I have the two case fans that came pre-mounted (front and back) and I added 3 more Thermaltake A2492 120mm case fans (one on the bottom of the case drawing air in and two at the top pulling air out) so 5 total.

The 3 Thermaltake fans are quiet enough in comparison to my 9600's that I couldn't hear a difference after I added them.
July 27, 2009 3:33:39 AM

darth meatloaf said:
I have the two case fans that came pre-mounted (front and back) and I added 3 more Thermaltake A2492 120mm case fans (one on the bottom of the case drawing air in and two at the top pulling air out) so 5 total.

The 3 Thermaltake fans are quiet enough in comparison to my 9600's that I couldn't hear a difference after I added them.

Nice fans. I have 2 on top, 1 back, 1 front, and I have ordered some more. Im going to put one one the bottom, one on the side door(bootom mounting to cool the GPU's maybe), and one in the front on top of the other front fan since the grill is mesh there and can take air in. However im thinking of putting some kind of dampening device on the side door since when you put a fan on the side door it makes high whistling noise (probably becouse the way the little holes were made in the door.

Im also thinking of getting something like a 60mm fan to place on the northbridge, since that kind of gets hot too.
July 27, 2009 3:34:57 AM

overshocked said:
Using an aftermarket gpu cooler will not drop the temperatures of the case because almost all of them will evacuate the air into the case.

And like i have said many times, i dont like water cooling, it is to expensive for what it is when you could buy a phase change for the same price.

Air cooling will get you extremely similar temperatures to water.
The only after market GPU cooler i have used and have heard many good things about was this one

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/6540/vid-99/Thermalta...

you can pick it up at frys if you have one near you, it should drop your GPU temps to 45c

Ok, so that got me looking at what else was available for GPUs and found a couple that would effectively turn my 1-slot 9600's into two-slot cards...

What do you think of:

http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Product.aspx?C=1153&ID=15...

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 27, 2009 3:37:15 AM

darth meatloaf said:

The Rosewill FORT120 has its fins turned up at the end to block air from escaping the sides, negating the need for such modifications :p 
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 27, 2009 3:39:44 AM

The first one isnt made for your card and the second i have always hated. (=

Why are you trying to bring your case temps down?

personally i dont give a shi1 about case temps as long as the components are cool.
July 27, 2009 3:42:40 AM

overshocked said:
The first one isnt made for your card and the second i have always hated. (=

Why are you trying to bring your case temps down?

personally i dont give a shi1 about case temps as long as the components are cool.

You make a compelling argument, sir.
July 27, 2009 3:51:34 AM

Keep in mind that you have to get 2 of those coolers.

This is what i have
http://www.productwiki.com/upload/images/evga_geforce_9...

Two of them are stacked togeter and there is about 1mm space in between them.
They are silent(fan running at 35%) however and there is a difference of 10 deg celcius.Bottom is 46 and top one is 56 deg. Top one sucks hot air that is produced by the bottom one. Its realy not a big deal running the card at 56 deg but since I have the case that can cool them better then why not. As said prevously my idea is to put the fan on the bottom side door and another one on top of the bottom front fan where the mesh grill is, its going to require some modding but at least there will some cold air coming in the direction of GPU's from the front and the side,

Aditionaly another ideas is to put a fan outside of the case behid where the dual slot gpu's exaust is and in some way helping the hot air come out faster. But then having a fan outside of a case without any fan grill is is kind of crappy. anyway any suggestions on how to cool these better?

Oh and darth meatloaf you may have to spend lots of money for the dual slot cooling and you might want to save money and get an better single gpu later?
July 27, 2009 4:00:21 AM

syche9876 said:
Keep in mind that you have to get 2 of those coolers.

This is what i have
http://www.productwiki.com/upload/images/evga_geforce_9...

Two of them are stacked togeter and there is about 1mm space in between them.
They are silent(fan running at 35%) however and there is a difference of 10 deg celcius.Bottom is 46 and top one is 56 deg. Top one sucks hot air that is produced by the bottom one. Its realy not a big deal running the card at 56 deg but since I have the case that can cool them better then why not. As said prevously my idea is to put the fan on the bottom side door and another one on top of the bottom front fan where the mesh grill is, its going to require some modding but at least there will some cold air coming in the direction of GPU's from the front and the side,

Aditionaly another ideas is to put a fan outside of the case behid where the dual slot gpu's exaust is and in some way helping the hot air come out faster. But then having a fan outside of a case without any fan grill is is kind of crappy. anyway any suggestions on how to cool these better?

Oh and darth meatloaf you may have to spend lots of money for the dual slot cooling and you might want to save money and get an better single gpu later?

My 9600's are both single slot and are both idling in the 60c range - same temp both cards. The VGA coolers for them are less necessity than they are just wanted, so given the $90 they'll cost me, I'll wait on them for a while.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 27, 2009 4:05:48 AM

Yeah, i would buy a new card before you get coolers for them (=

And if you want to lower your temps, do this.

Take your video card apart and blow out all the dust in it with canned air. Then replace the thermal paste on it with artic silver 7. It should lower your temps dramatically.
a b à CPUs
a c 86 K Overclocking
July 27, 2009 4:46:48 AM

Any better quality paste applied by a person who cares more than an assembly line puke will do better. Doesn't have to be AS7, but it's one of the better pastes. Lots of assembly jobs is wayy to much paste and cheap paste at that.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 27, 2009 4:51:11 AM

^I dissagree entirely conundrum.

If you are using a paste on something as fine as a GPU it will be well worth it to use AC7 because it holds more room for error.

If you were using a traditional silicon thermal paste it will insulate if you apply to much but with AS7 it is much harder to apply "to much"
!