My CPU cooler is dying - suggestions welcome for replacement.

darth meatloaf

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2007
I may or may not actually overclock, but having that option available is a plus.

I have a Q6600 that is running 54-57c on all cores under load.

I have a CPU cooler that is making random squeaking noises. It's still spinning, but I won't rely on that cooler to keep it doing that for long.

My specs:

CoolerMaster RC-690 case
ASUS P5N-D
Q6600
2x9600GT
4GB Crucial Ballistix DDR2 800MHz 4-4-4-12

The coolers I'm looking at right now are the CoolerMaster V8 (yes, it will fit in my case) and the Corsair H50.

Are there any other air or water coolers in the sub-$100 range I should consider?

Thanks for the help.

Conumdrum

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
Here is a great link, spend some time on it. The H50 is a high end air replacement setup. You'll get no better temps from it over a high end air cooler. Lots of H50 discussion on other forums, we pretty much know it's capabilities. It's got liquid in it, but it's NOT considered a real WC system. It just doesn't have the cooling capability of a WC loop. Your looking at $200+ for real WC just to start.

Anyway, here is a great link to read.
http://www.frostytech.com/

overshocked

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2009

All of them are great and will perform within a couple of degrees of eachother. :)

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

I know Xigmatek doesn't fit some motherboards due to the heat pipe shape, so I quit recommending it.

I can't possibly test fit it to EVERY board on the market to find out how many it doesn't fit.

The CCF doesn't either, due to the distance between the base and fins, I had to clip a couple pins off the NB HS on an Asus Rampage to mount it, the Xig 1284 fit with no modifications.

darth meatloaf

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2007
I also just read a review on the H50 that makes me glad I came here to ask first...

In order to facilitate maximum cooling, you have to set it up to pull air into the case and across the rad.

I don't know about you guys, but I'm not much of a fan of intentionally adding extra warm air to the inside of my case.

Conumdrum

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
The H50 is pretty neat. It cools as well as any other high end air heatsink. in the real watercooling world we don't consider it a watercooling setup. Sure it has liquid, but real watercooling is to get lower temps than what an air cooler can do. At MUCH higher cost and complexity.

My CPU loop cost me about $300. It's an i7965. It loads at the mid 50's with OCCt Linpack mode, with room temp at 84F. My GPU loop cost me $550+. Two GTX280's loads with furmark at 1680x1050 8x MSAA in the mid 50's. And this is on Medium speed fans turned down to medium. So it's very very quiet.

My latest rig:
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=604016

Thats what real WC does.

overshocked

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2009

The way you want to mount the h50 is to pull air into the system through it then have a fan right above the cpu socket blowint the hot air out.

It gets much lower temps than anything else. and you dont get much higher in case temps (according to my thermometers)

AKM880

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2009

Whoa. Thats a beautiful rig Conundrum, great job. Hows that Sunbeam Fan Controller, I wanted to get one but am sorta leaning towards the Scythe Kaze (I think its called)

Looks good,cost less than the Xig and bracket.
I never even thought of looking to Rosewill for a cooler.
I like the idea that it's cut out for a push/pull configuration , mounting a second fan on the CCF or Xig can be a pain.

Conumdrum

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
The sunbeam rheobus is under $20, seen it for under $15 on sale. Handles
1 3 yate loons meduims
2 3 yate loon meduims
3 1 yate loon meduim for HD
4 2 92mm for mosfets.

Stoopid LEDS are way to bright, painted them. For a basic one, it can't be beat. Popular and cheap. If I was running massive fannage I'd get something else.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

You'd better edit the spelling of medium before someone comes along and says you obviously can't be trusted any more than your spelling.

Conumdrum

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
This is the cooler I'm using.
http://www.jab-tech.com/Sunbeam-5-1-4-Rheobus-Kit-BLACK-pr-2530.html
Good store to buy from too.

Yes, 9 fans in total. Look at the link and once you got the wattage rating on the fan you can see I'm under it per channel.
http://www.petrastechshop.com/12yalod1cafa1.html

How dare you try to correct me you old man! Crashman, I know I silled it right, I Goggled it while stuck in my parents basement, I have no friends, I have time, many many eons of years left than you do old man!

Conumdrum

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
I don't use new egg to shop much and I don't trust the reviews on newegg, too many first time fools posting reviews, so I'm bowing out of this. I buy whats proven and trusted

I buy what other experianced overclockers talk about on forums and read non-biased test reviews. I'm not a fan of ANY retail "my stuff is best, buy my stuff" words. It could take me two weeks to decide on a part. Slow down.......