HiS HD 4850 ICEQ4

piratetip

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2008
It is on the HIS website, its just not that easy to find.

http://www.hisdigital.com/html/product_ov.php?id=395&view=yes

Ive heard that it may be out in 2-3 weeks, anyone heard official news?

I am waiting until this card comes out before upgrading my 6800 gs. The 4850 is my choice I just can't bring myself to buy the 4850 yet after hearing about their 90 C load temps. It will kill my PSU in my micro ATX case, and I need an external venting card.

Debated the 4850 w/ akasa vortexx neo, but I have heard mixed reviews on the cooler besides the fact they aren't easy to find.

piratetip

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2008
It looks like it still uses one 6 pin PCI connector like the ATI 4850(from limited info), I would say it has near the same power requirements.
The Turbo version would probably be higher though.

Anyone have any power requirements from their IceQ 3 3xxx series cards vs. ATI brand 3xxx series cards?

Thing is (and i have posted this before). If it only needs one connector and your PSU has a dedicated 6 pin connector then it has to run it ? Right ?
Thing is im fairly sure without checking that it wants a 450watt supply with what its is calling a 75 watt 6 pin power connector. So are they all 75 watts ? because again without checking im quite sure there are supplies out there that have said connector buy dont meet the wattage spec.
I have a 460 watt with 26 amps and i have read it needs 30 Amps, so where does that leave me ?
I am quite confident that it would be ok, but for someone just looking at the numbers its going to be confusing.
So are the power leads standard or not ? and a link would be appreciated.

Thanks
Mactronix

piratetip

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2008
Yes one 6 pin PCI connector is required.

Wattage specs are individual per power supply, ie. I have a Antec 500W Smartpower 2.0. Which has dual 12V output rail, which has a max rating of 480W combined rails.
http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=26500

For those with a modular supply with multiple rails, one would have to check the wattage per rail, and may have to combine rails if the wattages do not meet spec.

You have read what needs 30 amps? The 4850?, I highly doubt that. Let me know where you read that.

6 pin PCI express power leads are standard and come with most all new PSU's. As well as card manufacturers usually bundle 2xmolex--> 6 PCIex for those without proper connectors.