Power Management won't turn off HD

boatman

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2004

I recently purchased a Dell Dimension 4700 with an 80GB serial hard drive
using XP Pro. I have Power Options set to turn off the monitor and HD after
20 minutes (and system standby: never). The monitor shuts off fine but I
don't "think" that the HD shuts off. I leave the pc at the log-in window.
Even though the monitor is dark, I hear what I think are occasional disk
sounds and occasionally see the disk LED flash briefly. Also, the "box" is
hotter than I was expecting.

Can someone enlighten me as to what is going on, and what I can do about it?

Thanks!

Boatman

Hi,

If it doesn't go into standby, the hard drive won't fully turn off.
Actually, only in hibernate or shutdown does it fully power off, though in
the standby states it will spin down. The activity you are likely seeing is
the result of AV software doing system scans, possibly the indexing service,
and also possibly any network connection activity (IP renewals and such).

If it feels hot, get additional cooling fans installed. Heat is the enemy of
your system, if not properly dissipated it will shorten the working life of
your components.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Boatman" <boatman35@excite.org> wrote in message
>I recently purchased a Dell Dimension 4700 with an 80GB serial hard drive
>using XP Pro. I have Power Options set to turn off the monitor and HD after
>20 minutes (and system standby: never). The monitor shuts off fine but I
>don't "think" that the HD shuts off. I leave the pc at the log-in window.
>Even though the monitor is dark, I hear what I think are occasional disk
>sounds and occasionally see the disk LED flash briefly. Also, the "box" is
>hotter than I was expecting.
>
> Can someone enlighten me as to what is going on, and what I can do about
> it?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Boatman

boatman

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2004

Thanks for the info, Rick. I let it go into standby once, but then it took
"awhile" before I was able to resume internet activity. Is there any way to
speed up the reconnection?

> Hi,
>
> If it doesn't go into standby, the hard drive won't fully turn off.
> Actually, only in hibernate or shutdown does it fully power off, though in
> the standby states it will spin down. The activity you are likely seeing
> is the result of AV software doing system scans, possibly the indexing
> service, and also possibly any network connection activity (IP renewals
> and such).
>
> If it feels hot, get additional cooling fans installed. Heat is the enemy
> of your system, if not properly dissipated it will shorten the working
> life of your components.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Boatman" <boatman35@excite.org> wrote in message
>>I recently purchased a Dell Dimension 4700 with an 80GB serial hard drive
>>using XP Pro. I have Power Options set to turn off the monitor and HD
>>after 20 minutes (and system standby: never). The monitor shuts off fine
>>but I don't "think" that the HD shuts off. I leave the pc at the log-in
>>window. Even though the monitor is dark, I hear what I think are
>>occasional disk sounds and occasionally see the disk LED flash briefly.
>>Also, the "box" is hotter than I was expecting.
>>
>> Can someone enlighten me as to what is going on, and what I can do about
>> it?
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Boatman

Hi,

Generally that indicates a non-compliant driver for the network card or
modem (depends on the type of connection you have). Updating the driver set
with a download from the manufacturer may help, but not always.

--

> Thanks for the info, Rick. I let it go into standby once, but then it took
> "awhile" before I was able to resume internet activity. Is there any way
> to speed up the reconnection?

>> Hi,
>>
>> If it doesn't go into standby, the hard drive won't fully turn off.
>> Actually, only in hibernate or shutdown does it fully power off, though
>> in the standby states it will spin down. The activity you are likely
>> seeing is the result of AV software doing system scans, possibly the
>> indexing service, and also possibly any network connection activity (IP
>> renewals and such).
>>
>> If it feels hot, get additional cooling fans installed. Heat is the enemy
>> of your system, if not properly dissipated it will shorten the working
>> life of your components.
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "Boatman" <boatman35@excite.org> wrote in message
>>>I recently purchased a Dell Dimension 4700 with an 80GB serial hard drive
>>>using XP Pro. I have Power Options set to turn off the monitor and HD
>>>after 20 minutes (and system standby: never). The monitor shuts off fine
>>>but I don't "think" that the HD shuts off. I leave the pc at the log-in
>>>window. Even though the monitor is dark, I hear what I think are
>>>occasional disk sounds and occasionally see the disk LED flash briefly.
>>>Also, the "box" is hotter than I was expecting.
>>>
>>> Can someone enlighten me as to what is going on, and what I can do about
>>> it?
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>>
>>> Boatman

TRENDING THREADS