CPU not running as intended.

pichu

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2008
Hello guys.

I have been having a problem. Whilst playing games or watching videos on youtube or any other website or installing something. Or just idling. My PC would freeze or shutdown.
Alot of people told me its a heating issue, so i cleaned out the heatsink and used new thermal paste, but still no improvement.
One time, my PC shut off as usual, and when I came to switch it back on, it alerted me that the bios had reset. But, I dident change back the settings to its usual. And the freezing and shutting down has completely stopped. But its running 400mhz slower than it should. And only on 1 core, rather than 2. And with no Hyperthreading. (Task manager and device manager show 1 core). If I set it back to 3.2ghz it will go back to 2 cores with hyperthreading (so 4 cores) but the freezing and shutting down starts again.

Can someone help me :(, do i need a new cpu??

The cpu is a Intel duel core 840 Extreme edition (3.2 ghz)

and the motherboard is a MSI P4N Diamond edition.

IH8U

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007
1. Try a BIOS update
2. Recommend buying a new motherboard (something other than MSI)

(numerous issues with almost every MSI board I've seen)

mike99

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
Install Speedfan to check CPU & GPU temps while running windows. What heatsink? What graphics card? Run CPU-Z to check processor speed.

Mike.

pichu

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2008
My power supply is a Tagan TG580-U22.

My cpu is around 55 C and GPU around 48C

I have a XFX 6600GT 256mb

Stock CPU cooler

CPU-Z reports the speed as 2800, and 1 core avalible

pichu

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2008
Also, Im not sure if this is an issue or not. But FSB of this cpu is 800 (http://www.intel.com/products/processor/pentiumXE/index.htm) and in the bios it is 200. Should I change the fsb in the bios to 800 and the multiplier to 4??

pichu

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2008
Ok so the fsb speed is right. I dont understand whats causing it to crash then :S. Anyone got any ideas on how to get it working at 4 logical cores @ 3.2ghz without it crashing. Using the fail safe default setting is really crap and slow.

mike99

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
Have you got latest version of CPU-Z? Does it ID as Pentium 840? Should be 2 cores! When you POST does BIOS display as Pentium 840? You may need to update your BIOS. If FSB is 200 and multiplier is 4 then speed should be 3.2, not 2.8.
Try running a Ubuntu Linux live CD, it shows a penguin for each core at boot. In WinXP Task Manager, how many cores (CPU useage graphs)shown? Should be 4, two cores, both with hyperthreading. If your BIOS does not give option to enable/disable hyperthreading it is not supporting your CPU!

Mike.

pichu

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2008
Yes, CPUz identifies it as this. I can get it to run on all 4 logical cores, buts thats not the problem, the problem is that when I do run it like this, my PC freezes up and shuts down constantly. When I run in in fail safe bios settings, its running on only 1 logical core rather than 4, and 2.8 ghz rather than 3.2.

I think I found your problem. This is a note from your mobos CPU support list:

Note NOTE:
1. Pentium D 820 can only support Single-Core.
2. This board DO NOT supprt EIST when Dual-core CPU installed. (Pentium D 830 & 840)

http://global.msi.com.tw/index.php?func=prodcpusupport&prod_no=187&maincat_no=1

It does not state it doesn't support the Pentium D 840 but it does state that it does not suppoer EIST which could be the problem. If there is a way to turn it off in the BIOS try that and see if it helps.

pichu

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2008

I cant find any way to turn it off in the bios, could it be called something else. Or is there some way in xp to turn it off?

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
^Wow.. that MSI MB really sux.

However, if you look at the FAQ:

Q: How to solve the issue of system unstable while using Pentium D 830/840?
A; We have solved this issue via hardware. Please send the board for RMA.

P4N Diamond

pichu

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2008

I think im better off just buying a new board tbh. Because even if i send it back for rma, this still exists

"But please note that this board DO NOT support EIST when install Smithfield (820/830/840/840EE) CPU. This is due to Nvidia chipset limitation."

And I dont think there is an option in bios to disable it...

Kari

Splendid
If you get a new mobo, you could get a new cpu as well... something like the brand new E5200, inexpensive and probably will overclock just great.
Think about it :)

pichu

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2008
But do I really need a new cpu, to be completely fair the intel 840 ee has been just fine, would one of those new ones severely out perform it?

joefriday

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006

If you pay your own power bill, it might be worth it to move away from the Pentium D architecture. With my D 805, power consumption dropped 30 watts at idle, and an amazing 55 watts under load simply by switching to a pentium dual core e2160 (which by the way is also more powerful than my old D 805). In fact, the new cpu consumes 5 watts less power under load than the new cpu did at idle. The power savings you'll come to see is even more dramatic if you're the type who keeps their computer on for long periods of time. Plus, the fans will be much quieter, and the case temperatures should be cooler, meaning a longer lasting computer and a quieter work environment. To equal the performance of your old 840 EE, you'd have to spend about $70 (US) on a new Intel or AMD cpu. You should be able to sell your old 840 EE for that much or more.

pichu

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2008

Wow, thats some difference.

But, right now I cant afford to buy both. Perhaps I should buy a motherboard that runs both without problems? Any recommendations?

eagleeye

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2006
New stuff is always a good thing. too bad in this case we don't know what the issue is. It could be any number of things and there are a lot of good suggestions as too what it might be.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006

Looking at this chart by Gigabyte, looks like the P35 chipset will work:

Home > Support > Motherboard > CPU Support List

GIGABYTE GA-EP35-DS3L - $84.99

When I looked at the P45, it seems Gigabyte doesn't seem to support P4 EE's. Although you can look, just by changing the top to view the chart of supported CPUs.

Unless you want to go SLI, you might have to search around for the x38/x48 chipsets. Taking a glance at it, I did see x38 chipset support the EE 840-XE.

Edit:

Side note, forgot to mention the x38 chipset MB do get in the range of $200.