Sign in with
Your question

X25-M Gen2 vs 3x slower SSDs in RAID 0

Last response: in Storage
November 16, 2009 11:14:36 PM

So, I'm piecing together a new system (i7 920, HD5870), and initially was going to go with a WD Velociraptor for the system drive, but I've now decided on SSD instead. However, I know that RAID 0 scales SSD performance much better than it does for HDDs, so my question is this:

Which do you think would provide better performance, both initially and in the long run?
The Intel X25-M Gen2: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Or three of these PQI drives: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The Intel has advertised sequential read/writes up to 250/70, whereas the three PQI's would have a theoretical read/writes of 462/270, while also having a larger storage capacity. And although they have Intel MLCs, I haven't been able to find anything concerning PQIs and the now-emerging TRIM commands. And without TRIM commands, the PQI's could lose a significant amount of performance as I begin to fill them....but even then, would that slow them all way down equal to or slower than the Intel?

So what do you guys think? The "safe" choice of the already-blazingly-fast Intel, or the "risky" choice of the initially-faster PQIs that may slow over time? (And ultimately have a higher risk of failure, but SSDs already last so long I'm not concerned about that.)
a b å Intel
a c 415 G Storage
November 17, 2009 12:52:46 AM

As with any other disk choice, it depends on what kind of performance you're looking for. The RAID solution will be good if you're trying to maximize sequential throughput - good for bulk copying of files or applications that read/write large streams of data (video editing, for example).

For general-purpose booting and application loading, random I/O performance is more important, and RAID doesn't really improve that - so if that's the kind of performance you're looking for then you're probably better off with the one Intel drive.
a b å Intel
a c 353 G Storage
November 18, 2009 1:48:17 AM

Inaddition to what sminlal stated, I do not believe any of the SSDs can use trim when in Raid0 mode - That will probably be corrected down stream, hopefully not WAY down stream. Not sure if "patriot.exe" (Simular to trim command) works under raid0. If it does than you would just run that every so often.
!