Adding Screen To Laptop

130993st

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2008
Hello,
I currently have a laptop Futjitsu Seamens with a 12 inch screen and I want to connect it to a 24 inch screen. Will there be a problem with this. I have 1gb ram and 1600 ghz and 128 mb Nvidia Graphic Card. Is this enough. Will the resolution be terrible, like will I see things slower and will there be any other problems.
Thanks
:fou:
And sorry, but I kinda suck a Pcs so thats why i joined this forums to find out more.

IH8U

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007
There should be no issues (just make sure it has at least a VGA port on the back of the Laptop). There should also be a Fn+ something button to switch it to output to the monitor.

(on the Gateways at work it is Fn+F3)(Fn=function)

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
Although you're kinda vague on what card/monitor you have, it should work assuming you have an output port (most likely VGA, S-Video or HDMI) that matches an input on the monitor you're wanting to use.

As to your question about the performance... if you're just doing basic office tasks, it should work fine. If for some crazy reason you're thinking about gaming, it's safe to say you're going in the wrong direction... big monitors generally have higher resolutions... and higher resolutions put a big load on GPUs.

mi1ez

Splendid
As previously stated, if you have the right connection and don't plan on gaming it should be fine.

If you plan on watching video, you may need to set the output to ONLY the monitor. In windows it will be (as previously stated) fn+ other key (usually a function key ie. f3/f8). There are three modes will appear in the bottom right, the first displays on just the laptop, the second on both, and the third on only the second display. Keep tapping the "F"key while holding Fn to cycle through.

Once the second display is the only one selected you can probably select it's native resolution by right clicking on the desktop and going to properties, then selecting the settings tab and sliding the slider to it's highest setting.

Hope this helps!

130993st

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2008
Ok,
I am not buying this for Gaming but just Office work and small things. I heard that, for example, that if I buy a Dell Ultrasharp 3007 and I wanna see through it using my laptop, I have to install something. It this true or not? Will it work automatically when i Plug in the screen. ???
I am beginner at these things.
Thankss for your responses. :bounce: