RAID 1, Dual-Boot with Vista & XP

Hi All,

I recently purchased a Vista x64 system (plan to upgrade to Windows 7, just waiting on the disk!) with two 1TB drives configured in a RAID 1. The RAID controller runs through the mb/bios using Intel Matrix Storage Manager. I partitioned the drive into four sections that I plan to use as follows; (c:) Vista --> Windows 7, (d:) XP, (e:) Vista (optional), (f:) files (docs, pics, music, games, etc.)

I have two questions related to the RAID 1 and upgrades/OS installs.

1) The Intel Matrix Storage Manager (RAID) loads pre-OS. That being the case, do I need to do anything before I install XP? I know about the F6 option, and I downloaded the necessary drivers, but do I need to use them if the RAID loads before the OS? I'm concerned that I'll screw something up, or some conflict will arise, if I have to re-configure the RAID system for XP.

2) Related to #1 but for Windows 7 upgrade. Has anyone had luck upgrading to Windows 7 and maintaining their existing RAID setup?

Many thanks in advance!

Tom
1 answer Last reply
More about raid dual boot vista
  1. 1) You should use the motherboard drivers. They are better than the Windows drivers if any.

2) There should be no problem there, although I have not done it. A backup would be recommended before doing that.
Ask a new question

Read More

NAS / RAID Windows XP Windows Vista Windows 7 Storage