LOCAL SECURITY POLICY?

RAHAHA

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2009
I'm trying to fix a game installation. It keeps throwing this error out when I try to install it: 1628: Failed to complete installation.

I've tried following this fix:
http://forums.techguy.org/games/522598-1628-failed-complete-installation.html

BUT the fix requires me to go to somewhere called Local Security Policy, which is in my Administrative Tools. However, IT'S NOT IN THERE, AND FOR THE LOVE OF ah heck, I CAN'T FIND IT ANYWHERE!

All I have in my Administrative Tools are: Component Services, Computer Management, Data Sources, Event Viewer, Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Configuration, Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Wizards, Performance, Services.

Any help, gentlemen? Or can you fix the installation via another method? The game is James Bond 007 Blood Stone.

EDIT: Oh, and I've searched my entire computer for any program with the word "Policy" in it. Nothing useful came out.

go to start, click control panel, click add remove programs
look at the list and find the video game
delete the game from the list, restart the computer
turn the antivirus off, and if you have multiple security programs installed, turn them all off, or uninstall them.
now load your game, restart the computer
turn the antivirus back on.

RAHAHA

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2009
Ok, I found that file, but it was in C:\WINDOWS\system32\secpol.msc.

And I couldn't open it. It was 0kb and it said: MMC cannot open C:\WINDOWS\system32\secpol.msc.
This may be because the file does not exist, is not an MMC console, or was created by a later version of MMC. This may also be because you do not have sufficient access rights to the file.

Eh...

My path included %SystemRoot% as it goes to the same place. I used %SystemRoot% because it is possible to force a different folder name during the original install, and using this gets it to the right place regardless of the folder name Windows was installed to.

It is [strike]0[/strike] KB, so it existed at one time. Your security policy is locked and stranded until you fix this.

Click: Start>Run>SFC /scannow
and click OK. This runs the System File Checker and will repair that file when it is found as bad.

You may need your XP CD to fix this.