Automatic Shut Down

liswara

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2006
Hi, I have my second (just using it for internet browsing) pc drive me crazy. I have use for about 5 months without any issues but just a week ago the pc frequently shut down or restart automatically itself. I have replaced the ram and mainboard, the problem still remain. My next guess is the PSU but before I replace it, I'd like to know is it possible that if the psu has not enough juice, the pc will restart or shut down AUTOMATICALLY itself ? It isn't just off but shut down or restart automatically.

Also I have re-formated and re-install the windows and harddrive so absolutely it's not viruses or fault setting I think. What do you guys think?

My sys :
Intel E2180
Gigabyte 945GCM-S2C
Kingston Value Ram 1 Gb PC5300
Generic 400 Watt PSU (Yeah, I know it's bad)
Western Digital 80 Gb WD80AAJS
Generic case
DVDRW Lite On
Floppy Disk

That's it all....pls guys help me...Thx

You might check your Event Log for errors, but this could well be your cheap PSU. Your rig is remarkably undemanding. I'd probably put something like an Antec Earthwatts 380 in it and call it a day.

obiwan05

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2006
run coretemp or similar. had a similar issue recently where the cpu was over heating and system board was shutting it down (bad seating of heatsink). By the time I fully tracked down the problem I had apparently fried the cpu, oh well.

liswara

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2006
Apparently it wasn't the psu, I have replaced the psu and the problem still exist. So, the last three things are hdd, cpu and the case itself (might happen short-circuit something with contact to the mainboard?) or my local distributor lied to me that he has replaced the mainboard for me earlier. I have run speedfan, the Tcase was 35-40C, Tjunctions 38-45 but I don't know the temp of the northbridge and southbridge but both heatsink got very hot. But again, today I tried to turn on that pc from cold condition, it still shut down for about 15 seconds after success posting from BIOS and before entering the windows and then the pc turn itself on again but didn't successfully entering the windows :(. What's seems to be the problem?

So, the main guess is not overheating issues, am I right? Please guys, heeelp me.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Well if it shuts down, to me, something hit the thermal trip.

If your using the stock HSF, I'd guess that is the main problem. You can have partial contact that can go only so far to when temps actually climb to hit the thermal trip.

But that's my guess.

Only advice is to run the MB outside the case, and make sure the HSF is installed properly.

Or unplug the case switches to see if it runs longer to verify you don't have a faulty reset/power switch.

Edit:

You know the more I think about it, it could be a stuck soft switch. I'd definitely try running the system with out the PC case swiches hooked up, or unplug the reset button first, then unplug the power switch button to see if the system can run normal.

I had a flash back on time when I was on a tech call. The problem was, the system wouldn't boot. Turns out the reset button was stuck, still pressed in, which prevented it from doing... anything. :lol: