Sign in with
Your question

Recovery console in win versions

Last response: in Windows XP
November 21, 2010 12:28:44 AM

hey there..

I have a 2 part question, after...

I put together a computer with spare parts, but the HDD and Mobo came from the same donor computer, and I have a valid liscense key for the os on this HDD, so I figured I would make it easy on myself and use this Windows XP home installation, with the current build. Well, of course, it wasn't as easy as I thought as I can't get the computer to boot correctly. So, here goes...

If a boot attempt gets half way throught the XP loading splash screen then causes a reboot, but the computer will boot into safe mode with no problems, does this indicate a video driver issue?

And

If a driver renew wont fix the problem, is there any chance I can use the Recovery Console from an XP pro disc to fix this XP home installation?

1.7 Intel P4
256 RAM
Geforce MX vid
Brand new PSU (installed last night) 350w
November 21, 2010 12:44:47 AM

You have 3 options.

Since it can get to safe mode, don't go to safe mode. Just before safe mode appears a screen offering to do a system restore point rollback appears, try it, you have nothing to lose.

Do a full Windows repair. Great stuff except you will need to re-install all updates, DirectX and Framework all over again, but if it saves the install, do it.

Wipe the drive and install XP all new.
m
l
November 21, 2010 12:54:03 AM

Hey there...

Ya, restore does not help... tried 6 different restore points including the 2nd one ever made on this comp... 2006 or something.

Do a full Windows repair. Great stuff except you will need to re-install all updates, DirectX and Framework all over again, but if it saves the install, do it

This was my question... can I use an XP pro disc to repair an XP home installation?

Wipe the drive and install XP all new.

This is easy, but I would have to burn an XP pro key. I would really like to save the money from burning an XP pro key, when I do own the rights to this XP home install, but I dont have an XP home disc.
m
l
Related resources
November 21, 2010 2:03:38 AM

Quote:
This was my question... can I use an XP pro disc to repair an XP home installation?
Sadly, no, they are not even near compatible.

XP home isn't a bad operating system, but Pro is just plain great. I'm probably the only person here that would say to buy an XP Pro CD Key. Windows 7 is out there and has very few complaints, most come from me.

You need to find someone with an XP Home CD and do a repair to save your system and all that money.

XP Pro is great, but it's days (not years) are truly numbered. PC manufacturers that made computers with XP when they sold, no longer have XP drivers, only Vista and Win 7, so it's not just the M$ support that is vanishing, the entire industry is dis-owning XP. Something to consider.

Right now, we can try to salvage your XP Home by making a little change. Since it will boot to safe Mode, do it. When it is running, go to:

Start>Settings>Control Panel>System>Advanced tab>Startup and Recovery>Settings>System failure, untick "Automatically restart" and then click OK. Restart computer, see/record message when it crashes.

Broken as it is, maybe it can be salvaged.
m
l
December 1, 2010 5:36:08 AM

With no luck loading new drivers for the currently installed Video card, I tried droping in another card, and it looks like that was the problem.
I knew it had to have something to do with the video, but I overlooked this easy fix. :( 

Thnaks for you help
m
l
!