Coverage Improvement??

How would you Cingular customers rate the improvement of coverage since the
AT&T merger? From their map, Cingular says by now their GSM coverage rivals
Verizon's coverage. Would you agree?
27 answers Last reply
More about coverage improvement

    Stinks compared to the National Single Rate map. Since Cingular no longer
    offers a GAIT Nation plan (and is screwing grandfathered GAIT lines out of
    coverage with the latest IRDB), they don't really have a national plan.
    That's one of the reasons I dumped Cingular last spring as I saw the
    handwriting on the wall (paid the $150 ETF stead of $450 more in monthly
    charges). I have coverage on my SPCS Nokia 3588i F&C plan w/America option
    over a larger area than even Verizon's Single Rate plan (and in the real
    world, that larger coverage area is actually usable).

    Chris

    In article <xAxLd.1505$3W3.1280@bignews4.bellsouth.net>,
    "John" <Me@myhome.net> wrote:

    > How would you Cingular customers rate the improvement of coverage since the
    > AT&T merger? From their map, Cingular says by now their GSM coverage rivals
    > Verizon's coverage. Would you agree?

    Depends which maps you're looking at. Cingular GSM DOES NOT come close
    to Verizon's CDMA + Analog.

    On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 22:47:21 GMT, Jack Zwick <jzwick3@mindspring.com>
    wrote:

    >In article <xAxLd.1505$3W3.1280@bignews4.bellsouth.net>,
    > "John" <Me@myhome.net> wrote:
    >
    >> How would you Cingular customers rate the improvement of coverage since the
    >> AT&T merger? From their map, Cingular says by now their GSM coverage rivals
    >> Verizon's coverage. Would you agree?
    >
    >Depends which maps you're looking at. Cingular GSM DOES NOT come close
    >to Verizon's CDMA + Analog.

    You mean Verizons', scratchy, digitalized, barely audible and plenty
    of dropped calls Analog/AMPS "service", don't you?

    No thanks,I'll pass!!!

    GSM rules!!!

    In article <mgauv05q6abuoj50e5g8jp82cqb1tfgi3h@4ax.com>,
    Hardpan <hardpan@yahoo.com> wrote:

    > On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 22:47:21 GMT, Jack Zwick <jzwick3@mindspring.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >In article <xAxLd.1505$3W3.1280@bignews4.bellsouth.net>,
    > > "John" <Me@myhome.net> wrote:
    > >
    > >> How would you Cingular customers rate the improvement of coverage since the
    > >> AT&T merger? From their map, Cingular says by now their GSM coverage rivals
    > >> Verizon's coverage. Would you agree?
    > >
    > >Depends which maps you're looking at. Cingular GSM DOES NOT come close
    > >to Verizon's CDMA + Analog.
    >
    > You mean Verizons', scratchy, digitalized, barely audible and plenty
    > of dropped calls Analog/AMPS "service", don't you?
    >
    > No thanks,I'll pass!!!
    >
    > GSM rules!!!

    Not in areas not covered by GSM. Your 'Scratchy" AMPs could save your
    life in an area with no GSM.

    Voice coverage with Cingular is now decreased. On two trips I lost
    phone service and Cingular confirmed they have no coverage in huge
    areas of some states. Since Verizon still allows a tri-mode that works
    almost anywhere, there is no comparison in the coverage.
    Maybe GSM only phones have increase coverage.

    For data coverage, it will be years (if ever) before Cingular can match
    Verizon. For example my XV6600 handles streaming media and terminal
    services, as good as my DSL line. FTP is of course slower at 400-600Kbs
    instead of 3Mbs, but interactive usage is great.

    "John" <Me@myhome.net> wrote in message
    > How would you Cingular customers rate the improvement of coverage since
    > the
    > AT&T merger? From their map, Cingular says by now their GSM coverage
    > rivals
    > Verizon's coverage. Would you agree?

    Yes. However, I would say the best coverage for each individual person
    isn't easy to determine. Ideally, folks should test several providers
    (maybe via prepaid) at least in the areas you would use your phone the most.

    I spend a lot of my time at the University of Oregon where I work, and
    AT&T/Cingular has poor coverage of campus. I realize this is a highly
    specific data point, but you get the idea.

    Having a good national footprint can be very important, but even travelers
    would probably not choose a service that doesn't work well at home and at
    work.

    -Dan

    PS: For me personally, about 90% of my usage is in my home town.

    --

    =======================
    Oregon and the Pacific Northwest

    In <xAxLd.1505$3W3.1280@bignews4.bellsouth.net> on Mon, 31 Jan 2005 16:40:53
    -0500, "John" <Me@myhome.net> wrote:

    >How would you Cingular customers rate the improvement of coverage since the
    >AT&T merger? From their map, Cingular says by now their GSM coverage rivals
    >Verizon's coverage. Would you agree?

    Yes.

    I am not sure what you are basing this increase coverage on. I deal
    with real life experience and Cingular confirming they have no coverage
    in those areas. They refused to provide another GAIT phone. Therefore
    GAIT no longer exists with Cingular at least in the areas I travel in.
    My 6340i would not could, not work in several states after they killed
    GAIT. I have had a V720 with Verizon American Choice plan and it worked
    in 22 states metro, rural road without fail.

    Cingular data is not worth $20/month. I pay Verizon $170 for their data
    services. Cingular has nothing to compete, either in speed or coverage.
    I had both voice and data plans with both for 2 years. Anyone can
    consult the Wall Street Journal for the differences in Verizon and
    Cingular data access. Cingular is planning a 3G rollout.

    Whenever Cingular finds the billions to roll out UMTS, I wonder what
    speed Verizon will be offering by then?

    Except for ftp Verizon is as good as my BellSouth 3Mbs/384Kbs DSL in
    interactive performance. It is far more reliable. I waited 6 days for
    Bellsouth to fix a total outage and 3 years to fix a disconnect problem
    on the DSL. Verizon Internet access has kept a VPN connection travel
    from WNC to Atlanta with no drops.

    For reliability reasons only, I am going to drop $120+ a pay Bellsouth
    landline and use my Verizon only. I just have to schedule Brinks to
    modify the alarm for cell phone instead of landline use. I already use
    T-mobile for high-speed ftp (neither cellular, cable nor dsl offer
    great upload speed)

    In <1107279405.233952.107080@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com> on 1 Feb 2005
    09:36:45 -0800, "DoctorZ" <czervas@bellsouth.net> wrote:

    >Voice coverage with Cingular is now decreased.

    Actually increased.

    >On two trips I lost
    >phone service and Cingular confirmed they have no coverage in huge
    >areas of some states. Since Verizon still allows a tri-mode that works
    >almost anywhere, there is no comparison in the coverage.
    >Maybe GSM only phones have increase coverage.

    You can get similar coverage from Cingular with a GAIT phone and the GAIT
    option. I personally don't have any use for AMPS, but YMMV as always.

    >For data coverage, it will be years (if ever) before Cingular can match
    >Verizon.

    Cingular/ATTWS GPRS/EGPRS(EDGE) coverage is at least as good as comparable
    Verizon service and costs much less at $20/month unlimited, and UMTS coverage
    isn't far behind.

    >For example my XV6600 handles streaming media and terminal
    >services, as good as my DSL line. FTP is of course slower at 400-600Kbs
    >instead of 3Mbs, but interactive usage is great.

    Interactive usage is actually poor as compared to wired service on all current
    cellular data services.

  10. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    > Not in areas not covered by GSM. Your 'Scratchy" AMPs could save your
    > life in an area with no GSM.

    But it could aslo kill you, especially when you use a phone
    inappropriately (such as when driving on a gravel road which can require
    more concentration than driving on paved road).
  11. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    Cingular is no longer is a national provider but a regional provider.
    Regardless if someone has GAIT, they will have no phone service in
    certain areas. That is a decrease in coverage. They may have a better
    GSM coverage, but that is useless for anyone requiring national
    service. What is to keep Cingular from stopping service in a given
    area, since they have already done this.

    I know of people that lost coverage in metro Atlanta, after Cingular
    killed TDMS. The GSM coverage is not complete by any means.

    The Wall Street Journal explains each carrier's plans for data access
    and current capabilities. Maybe the Cingular executives are lying to
    the WSJ about their plans to catch up?
  12. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    In <1107290739.008998.211220@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com> on 1 Feb 2005
    12:45:39 -0800, "DoctorZ" <czervas@bellsouth.net> wrote:

    >In <qgPLd.4841$m31.64417@typhoon.sonic.net> on Tue, 01 Feb 2005 17:47:02 GMT, John Navas <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:
    >
    >>In <1107279405.233952.107080@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com> on 1 Feb 2005
    >>09:36:45 -0800, "DoctorZ" <czervas@bellsouth.net> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Voice coverage with Cingular is now decreased.
    >>
    >>Actually increased.

    >I am not sure what you are basing this increase coverage on.

    Before the merger, Cingular and ATTWS had only limited cross-romaing; after
    the merger, there is free reciprocal roaming between the two networks. Since
    the two carriers had different coverage areas, this significantly increased
    coverage.

    >I deal
    >with real life experience and Cingular confirming they have no coverage
    >in those areas.

    That's certainly possible -- no carrier has coverage in all areas -- but not
    worse than it was before.

    >They refused to provide another GAIT phone. Therefore
    >GAIT no longer exists with Cingular at least in the areas I travel in.

    You can easily buy a GAIT phone from a erd-party; e.g., on eBay.

    >My 6340i would not could, not work in several states after they killed
    >GAIT.

    What makes you think GAIT was killed?

    >I have had a V720 with Verizon American Choice plan and it worked
    >in 22 states metro, rural road without fail.

    So stick with Verizon. There is no one perfect carrier. Cingular works
    better for me in the areas I care about, is a better deal, and has better
    hardware, so I stick with Cingular. "Different strokes ..." and all that sort
    of thing.

    >Cingular data is not worth $20/month.

    I personally think it's a great bargain.

    >I pay Verizon $170 for their data
    >services. Cingular has nothing to compete, either in speed or coverage.

    I disagree -- Cingular EDGE is both fast and more widely available than
    comparable Verizon data service.

    >I had both voice and data plans with both for 2 years. Anyone can
    >consult the Wall Street Journal for the differences in Verizon and
    >Cingular data access.

    Whatever that means.

    >Cingular is planning a 3G rollout.

    Cingular already has UMTS in a number of cities (including my local area)
    thanks to the ATTWS merger.

    >Whenever Cingular finds the billions to roll out UMTS,

    Cingular is moving to increase UMTS coverage.

    >I wonder what
    >speed Verizon will be offering by then?

    Who knows? What I do know is that Cingular has very good speed now.

    >Except for ftp Verizon is as good as my BellSouth 3Mbs/384Kbs DSL in
    >interactive performance.

    Speed is worse, and latency is much worse.

    >It is far more reliable.

    That says more about BellSouth than Verizon. In general, DSL is much more
    reliable than cellular data.

    >I waited 6 days for
    >Bellsouth to fix a total outage and 3 years to fix a disconnect problem
    >on the DSL. Verizon Internet access has kept a VPN connection travel
    >from WNC to Atlanta with no drops.

    Apples and oranges. My own DSL (Sonic/SBC) was dead reliable for two years.
    No cellular is that good.

    >For reliability reasons only, I am going to drop $120+ a pay Bellsouth
    >landline and use my Verizon only. I just have to schedule Brinks to
    >modify the alarm for cell phone instead of landline use. I already use
    >T-mobile for high-speed ftp (neither cellular, cable nor dsl offer
    >great upload speed)

    Again, that's just a function of your area. High upload speeds are readily
    available in my area.

  13. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    Prepaid was a good test before the merger. Consider I had Cingular/BSM
    for 12 years. My 2nd home had the entire western end of the state
    shutdown, except for some small areas hours away.

    Unless someone is doing their own map of TDMS, AMPS, GSM they would not
    know where service might be terminated.
  14. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 08:45:06 GMT, Jack Zwick <jzwick3@mindspring.com>
    wrote:

    >In article <mgauv05q6abuoj50e5g8jp82cqb1tfgi3h@4ax.com>,
    > Hardpan <hardpan@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 22:47:21 GMT, Jack Zwick <jzwick3@mindspring.com>
    >> wrote:

    >> >Depends which maps you're looking at. Cingular GSM DOES NOT come close
    >> >to Verizon's CDMA + Analog.
    >>
    >> You mean Verizons', scratchy, digitalized, barely audible and plenty
    >> of dropped calls Analog/AMPS "service", don't you?
    >>
    >> No thanks,I'll pass!!!
    >>
    >> GSM rules!!!
    >
    >Not in areas not covered by GSM. Your 'Scratchy" AMPs could save your
    >life in an area with no GSM.

    Thats what kept me with VZW so long, until the dropped calls and lousy
    service were to much for me. I havent seen a out-of-service message on
    the display since I swicthed to Cingular, and dropped calls are a rare
    thing.
  15. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    In article <uq9201hp92ro3cq1qgtatqqgeqk441d8ul@4ax.com>,
    Hardpan <hardpan@yahoo.com> wrote:

    > On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 08:45:06 GMT, Jack Zwick <jzwick3@mindspring.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >In article <mgauv05q6abuoj50e5g8jp82cqb1tfgi3h@4ax.com>,
    > > Hardpan <hardpan@yahoo.com> wrote:

    > >> You mean Verizons', scratchy, digitalized, barely audible and plenty
    > >> of dropped calls Analog/AMPS "service", don't you?
    > >>
    > >> No thanks,I'll pass!!!
    > >>
    > >> GSM rules!!!
    > >
    > >Not in areas not covered by GSM. Your 'Scratchy" AMPs could save your
    > >life in an area with no GSM.
    >
    > Thats what kept me with VZW so long, until the dropped calls and lousy
    > service were to much for me. I havent seen a out-of-service message on
    > the display since I swicthed to Cingular, and dropped calls are a rare
    > thing.

    It depends where you work and travel. I dont go to the rural areas with
    no GSM, so I went with Cingular, and despite some "Big Company
    arrogance" my v600 has performed beautifully.
  16. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    #1. How exactly do you "digitalize" analog service? Being analog, it
    isn't a single bit "digitalized" by its very nature.

    #2. Cingular also offers analog service in areas where its predecessor
    companies started same service. They HAVE to by law, until at least 2007.

    #3. In a pinch where I'm in the sticks and all there is is analog and i
    need to call for assistance, I'd rather accept that scratchy analog
    service than no service on a GSM phone at all.

    > GSM rules!!!

    When it works. :)

    --
    E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
  17. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    John,
    Cingular's plans for any improvements for the ex-AT&T`areas are still a ways
    off. Here in Colorado, AT&T has added no new sites in the last 2 or 3
    years, but they are working to convert all sites to 800 MHz GSM. But the
    lack of NEW coverage is disappointing. Just in 2004, Verizon added 98 NEW
    cell sites in just 2 states around me.

    Of course, there is a flip side. Other carriers, like Western Wireless, are
    adding new GSM coverage for Cingular users. So, while Cingular's coverage
    remains the same here in town, GSM coverage is expanding elsewhere. Some of
    that new coverage will begin to rival Verizon's. But for the time being,
    Cingular is not expanding in their own home areas anywhere through the
    Rockies.

    Bill Radio
    http://www.mountainwireless.com

    "John" <Me@myhome.net> wrote in message
    > How would you Cingular customers rate the improvement of coverage since
    the
    > AT&T merger? From their map, Cingular says by now their GSM coverage
    rivals
    > Verizon's coverage. Would you agree?

  18. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    DoctorZ wrote:

    > I am not sure what you are basing this increase coverage on. I deal
    > with real life experience and Cingular confirming they have no coverage
    > in those areas. They refused to provide another GAIT phone. Therefore
    > GAIT no longer exists with Cingular at least in the areas I travel in.
    > My 6340i would not could, not work in several states after they killed
    > GAIT. I have had a V720 with Verizon American Choice plan and it worked
    > in 22 states metro, rural road without fail.

    If I'm not mistaken, Cingular doesn't carry GAIT phones anymore. If you
    need a replacement, you'd have to find a used one. It would be like
    going to a Toyota dealership and asking them to supply you with a 1988
    Toyota Corolla...they don't carry them anymore, and they most likely
    wouldn't have one in stock.

    TH
  19. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    DoctorZ wrote:
    > Prepaid was a good test before the merger. Consider I had Cingular/BSM
    > for 12 years. My 2nd home had the entire western end of the state
    > shutdown, except for some small areas hours away.
    >
    > Unless someone is doing their own map of TDMS, AMPS, GSM they would not
    > know where service might be terminated.

    I had no problem with my GAIT phone. In fact, I had service in areas
    where I wasn't supposed to (on a Preferred Nation TDMA plan). GSM was
    all roam-free, and I would end up getting GSM coverage in areas where I
    was supposed to be charged roaming. AMPS and TDMA were no problem,
    either. I just recently switched to an ATTWS plan so I could have plan
    coverage in other parts of North America (with no roaming charges).

    TH
  20. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    Tropical Haven wrote (2/2/2005 5:58 PM):

    > If I'm not mistaken, Cingular doesn't carry GAIT phones anymore. If you
    > need a replacement, you'd have to find a used one. It would be like
    > going to a Toyota dealership and asking them to supply you with a 1988
    > Toyota Corolla...they don't carry them anymore, and they most likely
    > wouldn't have one in stock.

    They are still available by the thousands, literally, brand new and
    unused, from a variety of dealers. Check eBay.

    --
    RJW
  21. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    In article <1103er24ej15c52@corp.supernews.com>,
    "Bill Radio" <Wireless@MountainWirelessNOSPAN.com> wrote:

    > John,
    > Cingular's plans for any improvements for the ex-AT&T`areas are still a ways
    > off. Here in Colorado, AT&T has added no new sites in the last 2 or 3
    > years, but they are working to convert all sites to 800 MHz GSM. But the
    > lack of NEW coverage is disappointing. Just in 2004, Verizon added 98 NEW
    > cell sites in just 2 states around me.
    >
    > Of course, there is a flip side. Other carriers, like Western Wireless, are
    > adding new GSM coverage for Cingular users. So, while Cingular's coverage
    > remains the same here in town, GSM coverage is expanding elsewhere. Some of
    > that new coverage will begin to rival Verizon's.

    And there's the answer. "Will begin", but not now.

    > But for the time being,
    > Cingular is not expanding in their own home areas anywhere through the
    > Rockies.
    >
    > Bill Radio
    > Click for Western U.S. Wireless Reviews at:
    > http://www.mountainwireless.com
    >

    > "John" <Me@myhome.net> wrote in message
    > > How would you Cingular customers rate the improvement of coverage since
    > the
    > > AT&T merger? From their map, Cingular says by now their GSM coverage
    > rivals
    > > Verizon's coverage. Would you agree?

  22. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    Correct Cingular will not offer a replacement GAIT phone and prefers to
    collect the contract termination fee.
    Buying another one would not solve the problem since 3rd tech confirm
    no issues with current phone and Cingular is not offering GAIT at least
    in certain areas.

    I am not sure what you mean by 1988. My V710 has AMPS and is late 2004
    tech. It will work anywhere in the USA unlike a Cingular which will
    only work in GSM areas.
    Unless you carry a CDMA and GSM on AMPS will ensure your phone can work
    across the nation. For example KY has very little CDMA coverage and NC
    has very little GSM
  23. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    What is to stop Cingular from killing GAIT in FL, as they have in at
    least NC?

    I am not talking about roaming, but zero service and no way for
    Cingular 3rd level tech to fix it without traveling to a GSM area.
  24. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    >>Of course, there is a flip side. Other carriers, like Western Wireless, are
    >>adding new GSM coverage for Cingular users. So, while Cingular's coverage
    >>remains the same here in town, GSM coverage is expanding elsewhere. Some of
    >>that new coverage will begin to rival Verizon's.
    >
    > And there's the answer. "Will begin", but not now.

    It all depends on what areas you use your mobile. Here in Florida, I
    find that GSM rivals, and is usually better than, Verizon CDMA coverage
    (even parts where Verizon will roam on Alltel Cellular B). Now, some of
    the rural areas of the west are still AMPS/CDMA or AMPS only.

    Hopefully, GSM and CDMA coverage will spread to the point that where one
    is, the other is also.

    TH
  25. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    "DoctorZ" <czervas@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    > What is to stop Cingular from killing GAIT in FL, as they have in at
    > least NC?
    >
    > I am not talking about roaming, but zero service and no way for
    > Cingular 3rd level tech to fix it without traveling to a GSM area.

    Your story sounds more and more like a rant. If you had either of the GAIT
    phones and a Cingular National plan you would have service on AMPS, TDMA, or
    GSM virtually anywhere.
  26. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    On 1/31/05 4:40 PM, in article xAxLd.1505$3W3.1280@bignews4.bellsouth.net,
    "John" <Me@myhome.net> wrote:

    > How would you Cingular customers rate the improvement of coverage since the
    > AT&T merger? From their map, Cingular says by now their GSM coverage rivals
    > Verizon's coverage. Would you agree?
    Yes. I have both - Verizon from work and Cingular as a personal. The
    Cingular gets as good as, if not better reception and call quality than
    Verizon.
  27. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    That is why you buy service from a company that has service where you
    will be using it, not from a company that will be roaming where you will
    be using it. For me verizon does not cover everywhere I want to use it,
    but Sprint PCS does. To be honest in the one place, Sprint PCS does not
    claim to have service there, will not sign up new customers there, but I
    have been able to make a call there. However while I can reach a
    distant Sprint PCS tower from there, there are no verizon towers within
    that range.

Cingular Verizon Internet Service Providers