The Judge Fudge

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2008
I have a q9550, which comes stock at 2.83ghz. I overclocked it so that it would run at 3.4ghz. I can't tell whether or not it is running at that speed. CoreTemp, CPUz, and a handful of other programs show it as running at 2400mhz. Meanwhile running a dxdiag or using the "upload rig" thing on xfire shows it at the proper speed of 3.4ghz. I am confused, did I screw up and underclock it, or is it overclocked and just not being read right?

ewood

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2009
try putting it under load, the multiplier will come back up and you will see your OC. its speed step slowing the chip down when its idle to save power.

The Judge Fudge

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2008
Checked on it and yes, it underclocks when not in use. Running something intense makes it raise and if you keep upping the task it will reach 3400 but wont go past it. Now that I know thats fine, would it be okay to ask a question about proper temps? Using arctic silver and a zalman 9700, at peak it gets at 45-53c at the most, and thats in a room thats usually over 75f and theres a gfx card in the case that idles at 38-40c and peaks at 60c. I've never understood what a bad temp is but I do understand that my temps right now are safe. When is it to hot?