Sign in with
Your question

SATA HDD not recognised in BIOS

Last response: in Storage
November 17, 2009 11:02:30 AM

Hi guys,

Sorry, I know this has come up before, Ive searched and tried a number of solutions but none have helped so far, heres my kit list:

ASROCK A780GM-LE 780G Socket AM2+

Crucial 2GB Kit (2x1GB) DDR2 1066MHz/PC2-8500 Ballistix Memory Non-ECC Unbuffered CL5

AMD Athlon X2 240 2.8GHz Socket AM3 2MB

Western Digital WD3200AAKS 320GB SATAII 7200rpm 16MB OEM Caviar Blue

My SATA HDD is not recognised in BIOS, so when I go to try and load Win 7/Vista the drive is not available to format/install.

Let me start by saying Ive put together many PCs with SATA HDDs in the past, but I think I may be missing a setting or something on this ASRock mobo.

When I put it together initailly I presumed when the HDD did not detect in BIOS it was due to a faulty drive so RMA'd it and recieved a replacement. This however did not detect etheir.
I have tried:

* Using a PCI SATA card and a old IDE- Drive with XP to boot into windows.

Result: This was able to detect the drive and I was able to format it, but when returning to the onboard SATA, the drive was still not recognised.

* In BIOS, trying all three SATA settings, IDE/RAID/AHCI

* Changing SATA ports

* Changed cables

* Clearing CMOS

* Updating mobo BIOS to latest (was getting desperate)

There are some more options within the IDE SATA BIOS menu, S.M.A.R.T, LBA, PIO etc are set to Auto, so could these help if they were disabled?

Thanks in advance for any help!!
a b G Storage
November 17, 2009 11:54:08 AM

Maybe a bad motherboard?
a c 357 G Storage
November 17, 2009 7:57:55 PM

^^ yeah, it appears it is not the HDD or its cables - in fact, your story says even an IDE drive could not work! Certainly focuses on the mobo.

If you want to check further just to be sure, get from WD's website their Data Lifegard utility in a form you can burn to a CD or floppy that is bootable directly. Then you don't need Windows to run. Run its tests on the HDD and see what they say. It might show a bad HDD (two of them in a row??), or it might show you more clearly what IS wrong.
!