Sign in with
Your question

Partition Wizard/Easeus

Last response: in Storage
November 17, 2009 1:51:40 PM

Hi, I tried to partition my win xp HD using Partition Wizard...it was going fine, until I wanted to apply the changes. Then it said something like "cannot apply changes because C:/ is in use.' So I guess I'm supposed to use the bootable cd that the PW web site has? except that when I tried to download it, it is damaged, and I cant download it.
So, what am I to do?

I used easeus to partition instead, and it worked great-automatically going into it's boot mode and making the changes.
I want to use a free partition software for my new Windows 7 pc that is coming in the mail soon, but Easeus isnt free for win 7 64-bit.
Partition wizard is free for win 7 64-bit though. Do I need this bootable cd to run it on win 7??

Thanks for any info.

a c 342 G Storage
November 17, 2009 5:49:49 PM

If your needs are modest, you don't need any third-party software for this.

Win 7 to replace Win XP is a full fresh Install. If your plan is to install Win7 on the SAME HDD unit as you already have XP WITHOUT destroying the existing XP Partition, you need to plan carefully, but may have done this anyway. It is possible to establish on one HDD unit two Partitions, both bootable, that each have a different Operating System on them. To start with, this means the first Partition (now containing XP) will have to NOT use up all the disk space - you'll need at least 50 GB to make into a new second Partition on which to install Win 7. Now, what you did MAY have made that happen already. You can use Disk Manager to examine your existing HDD and see how its space is allocated. Obviously it will have one Partition that is the current C: drive. Then what? Is the rest called "Unallocated Space", or does it have a second Partition on it as a separate drive? If there is only a C: drive Partition plus Unallocated Space, you can use that space to Create a new Partition; in fact, I expect that Win 7's Install routine will do that for you.

If that is your route, you will be setting up, I think, a Dual Boot possibility, because you will be preserving one bootable Partition currently used as C:, plus creating a new bootable Partition with the Win 7 OS, and you'll have to tell it which one to boot from.

On the other hand, IF your plan is to back up or otherwise preserve your current C: drive contents and wipe out the old disk so that it is "blank" and ready for Win 7 to install on it as the ONLY OS, the task is easier. Well, easier AFTER you do the backup AND verify that it really does have all your old files stashed away safely.

IF all you need is to create the bootable Primary Partition on the disk and Format it so that Win 7 can be Installed on it, Win 7 Install routine itself will do that job. And if you're starting out with a separate backup saved so that you can afford to wipe out the old disk, the Install can do that, too. You start up the Install routine from CD and an early choice will be which disk to use? If it is a previously-used disk you do NOT want to save, make sure you Delete all existing Partitions on it before proceeding. Then (or, directly here if a new blank disk) you tell it exactly how you want the new Partition created where you will be Installing - maybe the whole disk, maybe less - and what File System to install - choose NTFS. The Partition you want will be created for you so Win 7 can Install on it.

On the other hand, if you're preserving the existing C: Partition and creating a new one from Unallocated Space for the Win 7 Install, I believe that will also be possible. When Install presents you with options for where to install, you should be able to see both the existing C: drive Partition and the Unallocated Space. Choose to use ONLY the Unallocated Space and create a new Partition there for the installation. The rest is straightforward.
m
l
November 17, 2009 6:24:33 PM

Sorry if this wasnt clear but I'm getting a new PC from Dell with Windows 7 pre-installed. Win XP and my old PC are out the door at that point! :) 

I've just been trying to get familiar with partitioning and the software before my new PC gets here, because I'm fairly new at all this tech stuff.

I just want to know a good free partitioning program that is compatible with Win 7 64-bit. Partition Wizard is compatable, but I dont like the idea of that bootable cd, and I actually cant even download the bootable cd!
I like the way Easeus just does it automatically(go into boot mode), but alas, it's not free for win7 64-bit.

Any suggestions about this?

Thanks very much.
m
l
Related resources
November 17, 2009 6:39:20 PM

This is my partition plan so far for my new Win 7 PC, 6GB Ram

1st HD 500GB:
-Dell utilities partition.
1-C:/ Win 7, applications, 100GB
2-Another partition for games (not many games-20GB)

2nd HD 500GB
1-Swap/paging file, 9GB
2-Music, Movies/shows, Pictures, Video 350GB
3-Another partition containing image of C:/ drive. 100GB(?)

I also have an external 1TB HD that I will use for other backups, images, ect.

When I make my partitions on the second HD, do I make partition #2 the 'primary' drive??

Does this look like it makes sense? Any thoughts on this would be very much appreciated.

m
l
November 15, 2010 5:02:46 AM

ttothe said:
Hi, I tried to partition my win xp HD using Partition Wizard...it was going fine, until I wanted to apply the changes. Then it said something like "cannot apply changes because C:/ is in use.' So I guess I'm supposed to use the bootable cd that the PW web site has? except that when I tried to download it, it is damaged, and I cant download it.
So, what am I to do?

I used easeus to partition instead, and it worked great-automatically going into it's boot mode and making the changes.
I want to use a free partition software for my new Windows 7 pc that is coming in the mail soon, but Easeus isnt free for win 7 64-bit.
Partition wizard is free for win 7 64-bit though. Do I need this bootable cd to run it on win 7??

Thanks for any info.

Oh, my god. That's not true. In fact, EASEUS Partition Master Home Edition(Freeware) is free for Windows XP/Vista/Windows 7 64 bit, I have tried it, works well on Win 7 64 bit OS.
m
l
November 15, 2010 2:22:40 PM

cesta said:
Oh, my god. That's not true. In fact, EASEUS Partition Master Home Edition(Freeware) is free for Windows XP/Vista/Windows 7 64 bit, I have tried it, works well on Win 7 64 bit OS.

That is great that it is free now.

You realize this post was written a full year ago, when it wasnt free.
m
l
November 16, 2010 1:38:55 AM

:bounce: 

You are very right.

Windows 64 bit OS becomes more and more popular.

Just maybe this reason, EASEUS opened its EASEUS Partition Master Home Edition to support Windows 64 bit OS.
m
l
November 17, 2010 1:00:08 AM

Yes, all versions of easeus partition manager are free for 64bit. I've used the new version to enlarge my c partition on 64bit Windows7...good.
Thanks for your great software.
m
l
!