Mr Liopleurodon

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2008
I am just curious. I bought a Gateway GT5660E desktop some time ago. Warranty is out and all. I have been using the on-board graphics. I want to put a new PCI-E x16 (I have the open slot for it) in but want to know if this is going to cause problems? I remember a long time ago some desktop PCs were impossible to upgrade yourself. If anyone can give me any tips or anything to look out for when doing this it would be appreciated. Thanks.

mathiasschnell

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2007
Long as you can get into your computer without shocking any parts into oblivion, you should be fine. Just make sure you've got a good toolkit beside you when you're working on the PC and touch some metal every once in a while to ground yourself. Also make sure that whatever you're installing that you've got enough power and the right cables to run it. And if Gateway has some kind of stuff blocking the slot or otherwise in the way of what you're doing (Dell puts stuff like that in their PCs sometimes), you should be able to remove it with the usual tools.

Mr Liopleurodon

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2008
Wonderful. That is great to know. I have a non-magnetic toolkit. Gateway left the PCI-E port wide open. I remember some old HPs that couldn't be self upgraded. It was like a fortress inside. Thanks for the quick reply. I have everything I need then. Just been out of the PC loop a bit lately and wanted to be sure nothing new was going to hinder my install. Thanks again you've been a great help.