Need a good air cpu cooler for overclocking

huntsman

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
hey everyone

i got a amd phenom 2 x2 550 black edition cpu and i want to get it to 4.0ghz or around there. i currently have it at 3.52 ghz with the stock cooler and idle is at 34-37c and on load its 50-54c i dont want to exceed 60c thats why im not overclocking it anymore and waiting to buy a really good heatsink for it. my price range is 60 dollars max. any suggestions would be appreciated.

also got a antec 300 case just letting you know. So you can see if the cooler will fit.

since im asking bout cooling is there a way to cool off ram rather than just heatspreads. today it was really hot in my room i mean i was starting to get sticky from sweating, and my ram got up to 67 on full load. While running prime 95 for like 15min didint feel like waitng longer so i stopped it. Usually its at 60-63 on full load when air conditions on in my room and prime was on for 5 hours.

basically looking for good cpu and ram cooling, no water cooling dont have that much money for it. 60 dollars for cpu cooler and around 40 bucks or less for ram cooling.

hit me up if you got anything.

thanks

If you want to push more, then get the Scythe Mugen 2...
For around $37, it is one of the best and cheapest CPU coolers around...
And it would perform as good or better than a $60 CPU cooler...
Check out this article about the CPU coolers for i7...The scythe is also AM3 compatible...
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/coolers/display/core-i7-coolers-roundup.html

And again I would like to ask the same question what Conumdrum asked - How did you measure the temps of the RAM ??
And if you really want a RAM cooler, then get any of these...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835126004
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181008
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835202003
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835241001

huntsman

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
ok well since hwmonitor lists the temp as mainboard which i would guess is the ram because as soon as i start prime 95 it jumps for 50 idle into the 60s but i might be wrong you guys are more experienced then me so what would that measure if its not the ram. i mean i dont think the mainboard would go into the 60s.

Conumdrum

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
Might be your northbridge, or your mosfets, could be a random PWM, depends.. Looks like you need to figure out your Mobo by looking on forums for your Mobo type and looking into posts specifally talking temps.

Welcome to the OC world!!!!!

That would be the temp being reported by the chipset, or your southbridge. In your case it would be the 790 chipset, X, GX, or FX. Unless for some reason you have a 780 G.

Some chipsets can achieve quite hi temps when overclocking. My mobo is notorious for that, so I bought a chipset cooler from Thermaltake. It now keeps my chipset at ambient temps (around 22C) at all times. I can provide a link if you like.

I think Frostytech still claims the Thermalright Ultra 120 extreme as the best for AMD processors. But that wouldn't even fit in my ANtec 900 without a bit of modification. Then again, neither did my Domino ALC...

You might be able to fit a Xigmatek 1283 in there. Around $40.

huntsman

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
o alright thanks. well ima check out those cpu coolers on that site you listed and see what i find. and as for air flow i got 2 fans in front as intake 1 on the back as exhaust and on the top as exhaust and will get one more fan on the side as intake is that right or should the fan on the side be exhaust?

huntsman

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
so far i got the 2 stock fans that came with the case and bought 2 silenx 120mm fans they work really nice and quiet. says on the box 14dba but the more fans you got i believe its gonna be louder than that. the 2 silenx fans work pretty good says they push 72cfm and the only thing that sucks is the filter and grill in front of the case makes the 2 fans work a bit louder then when the grill is takin off.

huntsman

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
wow thats crazy. I got to look into it more i want to overclock my card. ill see how it does with the stock fan also got to find the max temp for my graphic card.

overshocked

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2009

They run at 55c idle when i clean them out.

Every 3 months or so i have to take them apart and clean them all out then re-apply thermal paste.

before i clean them out they will idle at about 85c :ouch:

huntsman

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
ok did some digging and checked out a few heatsinks, now i would get the core contact freezer but i dont have a pay pal or credit card so id have to ask my dad to buy it for me, and yeah. Now i looked at scythe mugen 2 and ocz vendetta 2. Now im guessing mugen 2 is better then ocz vendetta 2. how about mugen 2 vs core contact freezer. Is it a huge difference or should i go for mugen 2 and my local pc store carries it so i could get it. Could you compare mugen 2 to cctf ? and would you recommend the mugen 2? Seems like its a good cooler and for a low price.