Problem changing available space for System Restore

I am trying to change the available space for System Restore from 1GB
to something smaller. The problem is that the slider moves directly
from 1GB to 200MB without allowing me to choose one of the intermediate
values. What should I do to set it to 500MB? Is 200MB enough?

thanks
4 answers Last reply
More about problem changing space system restore

    Default is 12% and that is where you should put it.
    Lower settings will not let XP create restore points that may be needed
    at a later date. 200mb is out of the question.
    System Restore in WinXP
    http://bertk.mvps.org/index.html
    --
    XP-WNP
    Today is the first day of the

    "jramaley@iname.com" wrote:

    > I am trying to change the available space for System Restore from 1GB
    > to something smaller. The problem is that the slider moves directly
    > from 1GB to 200MB without allowing me to choose one of the intermediate
    > values. What should I do to set it to 500MB? Is 200MB enough?
    >
    > thanks

    12% of 80GB...that's 9.6GB! It sounds a little bit too much...

    jramaley@iname.com wrote:
    > 12% of 80GB...that's 9.6GB! It sounds a little bit too much...
    >
    > Byte wrote:
    >
    >>Default is 12% and that is where you should put it.
    >>Lower settings will not let XP create restore points that may be needed
    >>at a later date. 200mb is out of the question.
    >>System Restore in WinXP
    >>http://bertk.mvps.org/index.html
    >>--
    >>XP-WNP
    >>Today is the first day of the
    >>rest of your life.

    It really depends on how many restore points you want to keep.
    System restore will use space until it's full then start dropping
    off the oldest.

    gls858

    gls858 wrote:

    > jramaley@iname.com wrote:
    >> 12% of 80GB...that's 9.6GB! It sounds a little bit too much...
    >>
    >> Byte wrote:
    >>
    >>> Default is 12% and that is where you should put it.
    >>> Lower settings will not let XP create restore points that may be
    >>> needed at a later date. 200mb is out of the question.
    >>> System Restore in WinXP
    >>> http://bertk.mvps.org/index.html
    >>> --
    >>> XP-WNP
    >>> Today is the first day of the
    >>> rest of your life.
    >>>

    > It really depends on how many restore points you want to keep.

    That's correct, and that's independent of how large your hard drive is.
    That's why the default of 12% (or any number that's a percentage of the
    drive rather than a fixed number of MB) is a poor one.

    --
    Ken Blake
    Please Reply to the Newsgroup

    > System restore will use space until it's full then start dropping
    > off the oldest.
    >
    > gls858

Microsoft System Restore Windows XP