Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Problem changing available space for System Restore

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
August 25, 2005 3:02:51 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

I am trying to change the available space for System Restore from 1GB
to something smaller. The problem is that the slider moves directly
from 1GB to 200MB without allowing me to choose one of the intermediate
values. What should I do to set it to 500MB? Is 200MB enough?

thanks
August 25, 2005 1:28:04 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Default is 12% and that is where you should put it.
Lower settings will not let XP create restore points that may be needed
at a later date. 200mb is out of the question.
System Restore in WinXP
http://bertk.mvps.org/index.html
--
XP-WNP
Today is the first day of the
rest of your life.


"jramaley@iname.com" wrote:

> I am trying to change the available space for System Restore from 1GB
> to something smaller. The problem is that the slider moves directly
> from 1GB to 200MB without allowing me to choose one of the intermediate
> values. What should I do to set it to 500MB? Is 200MB enough?
>
> thanks
>
>
Anonymous
August 25, 2005 2:33:30 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

12% of 80GB...that's 9.6GB! It sounds a little bit too much...

Byte wrote:
> Default is 12% and that is where you should put it.
> Lower settings will not let XP create restore points that may be needed
> at a later date. 200mb is out of the question.
> System Restore in WinXP
> http://bertk.mvps.org/index.html
> --
> XP-WNP
> Today is the first day of the
> rest of your life.
>
Related resources
Anonymous
August 25, 2005 5:38:18 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

jramaley@iname.com wrote:
> 12% of 80GB...that's 9.6GB! It sounds a little bit too much...
>
> Byte wrote:
>
>>Default is 12% and that is where you should put it.
>>Lower settings will not let XP create restore points that may be needed
>>at a later date. 200mb is out of the question.
>>System Restore in WinXP
>>http://bertk.mvps.org/index.html
>>--
>>XP-WNP
>>Today is the first day of the
>>rest of your life.
>>
>
>
It really depends on how many restore points you want to keep.
System restore will use space until it's full then start dropping
off the oldest.

gls858
Anonymous
August 25, 2005 5:38:19 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

gls858 wrote:

> jramaley@iname.com wrote:
>> 12% of 80GB...that's 9.6GB! It sounds a little bit too much...
>>
>> Byte wrote:
>>
>>> Default is 12% and that is where you should put it.
>>> Lower settings will not let XP create restore points that may be
>>> needed at a later date. 200mb is out of the question.
>>> System Restore in WinXP
>>> http://bertk.mvps.org/index.html
>>> --
>>> XP-WNP
>>> Today is the first day of the
>>> rest of your life.
>>>
>>
>>
> It really depends on how many restore points you want to keep.


That's correct, and that's independent of how large your hard drive is.
That's why the default of 12% (or any number that's a percentage of the
drive rather than a fixed number of MB) is a poor one.

--
Ken Blake
Please Reply to the Newsgroup


> System restore will use space until it's full then start dropping
> off the oldest.
>
> gls858
!