Upgrading/building new computer in the next 1-2 months, im confuzzled!

Well here's the story. Dad bought a Geforce 7600 GT last night for $23 on Ebay for his fiance's kids computer. I just got $600 in games (from piratebay :pfff: :non: ) (got a letter in the mail saying they will cancel my internet account if i dont stop so you better believe i wont be doing that for along time) for them to find out they have onboard graphics. Now what i think ima do is give them my Geforce 7950 GX2 and use the 7600 GT till its upgrade time.

What i want out of this upgrade is a long lasting graphics card with DX 10, quad or 6 core CPU and a fast hard drive(s).

I dont know anything about Nehelem's release date or price but i know I HAVE TO GET ONE!

So any way im thinking about a Geforce 9800 GX2 (notice the nice $125 mail in rebate) My old 7950 GX2 is still kicking after what 3 years? I dont know when it came out, but it owns the latest games even today so i have SOME faith that the new one will last ALMOST as long. IM ONLY GOING TO PLAY ON A 1280 X 1024 Resolution OR 1440 X 900! But i want max quality and AA for few years.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814162010

My 3 REAL problems are nehelem, how to get fast hard drives and what ram speed do i need.

http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/showthread.php?s=058fd8c5c91f680cb560c77efbae0578&p=3197254#post3197254

If this is true im getting the I7 800.

Now how do i get really fast load times? i only need 320 GB of storage but i want fast load times, should i get a raptor, raid 0 it, or is there a single hard drive that is fast? im probably gonna get 2-3 hard drives.

And does the speed of the ram make a difference? Im using DDR2 667, Should i kick it up a notch to DDR 800, DDR 1066 or even DDR 1333? I know i want 4 GB of ram.

Any thoughts did i miss something that you need to know?
12 answers Last reply
More about upgrading building computer months confuzzled
  1. Openly admitting you're a software pirate won't endear you to anyone here. Might want to leave that detail out next time.
  2. Until you can buy Nehalem, and all the supporting hardware to build, do a Google search for "vaporware."

And yes, Rodney has a very good point.
  3. People like you are the reason the PC gaming industry is dying. Buy your games, support the industry, and then maybe all the good games and developers won't go console.
  4. skywalker9952 said:
    People like you are the reason the PC gaming industry is dying. Buy your games, support the industry, and then maybe all the good games and developers won't go console.

If you're dirt poor and are still gaming on a Pentium 3... that's one thing... yes, I know that's still STEALING... but it's still different. This guy is obviously dropping some pretty serious cash on his gaming rig just based on the GPUs he's buying (no, not the used 7600 GT... the other ones)

I spent $1500+ on a laptop... I'm pretty sure that means I can afford to spend $19.95 for Team Fortress 2 and download it from Steam. To me it seemed like money well spent... now the $50 I spent on AoC... ugh... wish I could have pirated that one before I wasted the money!

I just felt the OP would have gotten a little more help had he left out that detail.
  5. Well it would not have made a difference, the games are going to a 3rd world country where the PS3 is not even available really.......So there is 0 chance for us or them to buy the games. so assuming that we were not/can not buy the games the gaming industry is not missing anything, besides after buying bioshock and not working on my PC im way mad at the gaming industry any way. So any way they didnt lose a dime or make a dime, and if they dont give a rats ass about their games working on every-one's pc why the hell should i pay them for a non working game? I do buy the games i pirate and like so i can play them online (Example: Cod4 Civilization 4 Bioshock (demo) and 2 others that i forgot). So actually there s a chance that pirating can promote their product, i woulda never bought Civilization 4 before i pirated it and wouldnt have bought cod4 either cause i didnt think it would be as good as it looked.
  6. Oh and the gaming industry is going to hell cause all the best games came out years ago ( FFX 10, the legend of dragoon, xenosaga, skies of arcadia) im missing alot of other games to but just for examples. Not pirates fault its dieing but all the piss poor developer's.
  7. Just digging your hole deeper bro.
  8. Not in a hole, never have been never will be. What i have said was the truth, in fact the maker's of American gangster said pirating can help profits because "they will watch the pirated movie and than say "wow this is so cool" and watch it on the big screen".

Pirating helps it doesn't hurt, people who pirate usually cant afford games or are not sure if they want to play such a game.

BTW you can pirate console games easier than PC games, console's dont need key's (serial code's).
  9. skywalker9952 said:
    People like you are the reason the PC gaming industry is dying. Buy your games, support the industry, and then maybe all the good games and developers won't go console.

:bounce:

Don't steal. If you don't want to pay Best Buy/Circuit City prices, look for good (legit) deals online!!
  10. rodney_ws said:
    Just digging your hole deeper bro.

I think he's so far down the hole, he didn't exactly hear you.
  11. Grimmy said:
    I think he's so far down the hole, he didn't exactly hear you.

Funny how people rationalize their behavior isn't it? If people didn't pirate, no game studio/publisher would bother with developing DRM technologies that inevitably will snare legit/legal/paying customers. A pirate (i.e. thief) can make arguments all day long about how he's helping the industry (ha!) but I'll be damned if he's doing me any favors by encouraging the creation of more complex DRM schemes that limit my ability to use a legally purchased product.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Computer Product