Sign in with
Your question

Phenom 9600BE to Q6600 (please help!)

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
September 5, 2008 4:53:52 PM

Hey guys, sorry I havnt been on here too much. But I had a question that I would like to probe you with.

currently here are my specs..

gigabyte ga-ma790fx-ds5 mobo with the latest F6 bios
phenom 9600 BE @ stock clock (oc sucks on this chip)
OCZ 2gigs ddr2 800 memory
ATI 4850 @ 700/1100
2x WD 500gb hdd, 2x WD 80gig hdd

here is the problem. I had better 3dmark06 scores with my athlon x2 6000+ clocked at 3.2ghz. That was a dual core. This is a quad.. my performance throughout my system has gone down.

every game I play doesnt yeild the same kind of fps I used to get. I understand that a lot of this might have to do with games only using a single core. but I would think that my 2.4ghz clock speed was sufficent.

I have been toying with going intel. I would want to go q6600 as I know I can get it at 3.2 on air all day long, maybe even 3.4

what do you guys think? is it worth it?

the main reason for this whole overhaul is because i got into everquest 2. I know that is a cpu dependent game an all and im running it at 1440x900 (19in widescreen monitor). A friend i built an intel system for running 2 3870x2 is getting around 80fps, and im getting like 25-30. and I have a 4850. dose not make any sense.

please help.

thx.

More about : phenom 9600be q6600

September 5, 2008 5:32:32 PM

Umm he has better video cards and CPU what doesn't make sense? 4 3870s versus one 4850. What intel CPU is he running? Are his EQ2 settings the same as yours?

Anyway to go intel your dropping $135 on a mb and ~$180 on a chip. I'll assume you have your own cooling. Total = ~$315.
You may be able to sell your 9600 and 790fx board for ~$150. Total cost to you $165.
Since you already spend a monthly fee to play EQ2 this makes more sense then it would if it were a standard game you were upgrading for. For example Crysis 20 hours of gameplay for over $200 ($165 + $40).
But EQ2 is probably more like 10-20 hours a week ~500-1000 hours a year. $165+$150? = 315 for 500 to 1000 hours of gameplay.
Your money and your choice. The 9600BE isn't that much worse then a q6600 (stock) but if you OC the q6600 you can blow it away. Good luck on your decision.
September 5, 2008 5:49:50 PM

jan 09 the 45nm phenom fx clocked at 2.8/3.0ghz or buy 3870 nivda 280
Related resources
September 5, 2008 6:03:32 PM

If you do decide to go with Intel go for a Q9550, It is marginally more expensive then Q6600 however it is better.
September 5, 2008 6:20:09 PM

Heh... somethings a miss.

CPU intensive game, 4 gpu's run it better then a single gpu.

Does EQ2 even support mulitcores for a CPU?
September 5, 2008 6:20:52 PM

If you already have a 790FX board, I would recommend you to go with Phenom 9950BE, or even wait until Q408 / Q109 for Deneb (45nm Phenom).

You should get a decent overclocking out of 9950BE (3.2Ghz) with decent cooling, and it will likely perform on par with Q6600 @ 2.6~2.8Ghz.
September 5, 2008 6:29:38 PM

Looked at a couple 790FX MB's. The ones I peaked at seem to have the SB600. Wouldn't he need the chipset that has the SB750 to get an easy 3.2ghz OC?
a b à CPUs
September 5, 2008 6:42:21 PM

TLB BUG!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If your motherboard has the TLB bug fix enable your performance will drop like a rock!!!!! This is the main reason your computer would seem slower. Try and disable the TLB bug fix, then try and overclock. Adding a second 4850 would also help your frame rates. You already have a good board so I would recommend you wait for the 45nm in January.

If you really wanna get something now though you can get a 9850 BE pretty cheap, like 174, since they are being phased out quickly for the 9950 BE. The 9850 BE seems to overclock O.k but don't expect to easily break 3GHz. I still think it's best for you to disable the TLB fix and just wait instead of spending alot of money now to go with Intel. Not only that you'll be kicking yourself when Intel releases it's new chip in a few weeks and prices on their stuff falls.
September 5, 2008 7:06:29 PM

Hi all, :bounce: 
I aint a fanboi of any AMD/Intel system.
I run a 9600BE on one of my systems and I have found it to be great.
As mentioned, wait for the next-gen of CPU either AMD/Intel.

As a short term "solution" use the TLB_Enable/TLB_Disable Software solution, its a great solution. (Google it)

VRGBoXy

www.VistaReadyGames.com
September 5, 2008 7:06:41 PM

megamanx00 said:
TLB BUG!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If your motherboard has the TLB bug fix enable your performance will drop like a rock!!!!! This is the main reason your computer would seem slower. Try and disable the TLB bug fix, then try and overclock. Adding a second 4850 would also help your frame rates. You already have a good board so I would recommend you wait for the 45nm in January.

If you really wanna get something now though you can get a 9850 BE pretty cheap, like 174, since they are being phased out quickly for the 9950 BE. The 9850 BE seems to overclock O.k but don't expect to easily break 3GHz. I still think it's best for you to disable the TLB fix and just wait instead of spending alot of money now to go with Intel. Not only that you'll be kicking yourself when Intel releases it's new chip in a few weeks and prices on their stuff falls.

i was hoping somebody would say that. the TLB fix really kills the performance. i've seen benchmarks where the performance would fall under even the low-end athlon x2's.
September 5, 2008 7:51:17 PM

Grimmy said:
Looked at a couple 790FX MB's. The ones I peaked at seem to have the SB600. Wouldn't he need the chipset that has the SB750 to get an easy 3.2ghz OC?

Some people did get lucky, and get 3.2Ghz out of their Phenom with SB600. But yes you're right. Getting a SB750 motherboard would be a better solution.

I just think that since he already has the infrastructure for an AMD solution, why toss everything and go Intel? Especially when Nehalem is so close to launch, he will have to toss that Intel solution out a year later anyway.

September 5, 2008 7:52:47 PM

Can't Break 20 FPS on a Nice System

@OP are you running EQ2 in window mode? The guy in that was having his problems running it windowed. When he went to full screen, he had 80FPS at 1280 x 1024 with a single HD3780 with Q6600 stock. People explained that the power for the card was cut in half, so that explains the low FPS he was having. But he wanted window mode for dual monitors.

If you follow through that thread, other users recommend setting affinity to a core for the main part of EQ2. Maybe you could try some tips there.
a c 111 à CPUs
September 5, 2008 9:13:41 PM

Dibs on the Phenom 9600BE and Gigabyte 790fx if he goes to the Dark Side :p 
September 8, 2008 12:23:09 PM

Grimmy said:

that was my thought also.. if i wanted to go 9950 or the new.. id have to upgrade my board again, the cooling on my gigabyte board is very nice tho IMO.

megamanx00 said:
TLB BUG!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I do have that, and It is enabled. I will disable it and run that software fix and then I will try benching again. **crosses fingers**

vrgboxy said:
Hi all, :bounce: 
I aint a fanboi of any AMD/Intel system.
I run a 9600BE on one of my systems and I have found it to be great.
As mentioned, wait for the next-gen of CPU either AMD/Intel.

As a short term "solution" use the TLB_Enable/TLB_Disable Software solution, its a great solution. (Google it)

VRGBoXy

www.VistaReadyGames.com

thanks for the link! I will definitely do this!

Nik_I said:
i was hoping somebody would say that. the TLB fix really kills the performance. i've seen benchmarks where the performance would fall under even the low-end athlon x2's.

thats right, my 3dmark score went down!! with my x2 6000+ I got a significantly higher score, and in game performance.

Grimmy said:
Can't Break 20 FPS on a Nice System

@OP are you running EQ2 in window mode? The guy in that was having his problems running it windowed. When he went to full screen, he had 80FPS at 1280 x 1024 with a single HD3780 with Q6600 stock. People explained that the power for the card was cut in half, so that explains the low FPS he was having. But he wanted window mode for dual monitors.

If you follow through that thread, other users recommend setting affinity to a core for the main part of EQ2. Maybe you could try some tips there.

I run my games in full screen, and when I run eq2 in window mode I know lose like maybe 3-5 fps. So thats not really a big deal to me.

its the full screen slow as poop that erks me

September 8, 2008 12:36:28 PM

Wisecracker said:
Dibs on the Phenom 9600BE and Gigabyte 790fx if he goes to the Dark Side :p 

if I do, you will be the first on the list! ;) 
!