Sign in with
Your question

Upgrading my cooling for new computer upgrades.

Last response: in Overclocking
July 27, 2009 8:16:27 AM

Hello. I'm upgrading an old computer and I want to ensure that I'll have sufficient cooling to get a good overclock on my components. A secondary concern is sound, but I'd rather have cooler temps over lower sound. My budget for cooling is 90 dollars.

My case has only one spot for a fan. The fan size is 92x92x25 mm. I don't know how many pins the power connector should have. I can't see it on this motherboard. Maybe the fan is intended to connect directly to the PSU? Of course a 3/4 power pin fan will work on either, right?

I'm getting an OEM processor, so I'll need a fan/heatsink combo or a water cooling system. I don't know exactly what size my case is. It has an atx form factor psu, but a mATX board. I don't know what sort of cooling system I'd be able to fit stock. However, my cousin's boyfriend probably has some tools or could borrow some so I'd probably be able to do a little case modding if anyone here feels that a system that would need the case to be modded is necessary.

I know I'll need to get thermal grease so I'm purchasing a small tube of the quality Arctic Silver 5 thermal compound.

And my video card is the ASUS Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP.

So what do you think I should get and do? Thanks in advance.
a b K Overclocking
July 27, 2009 8:20:11 AM

Ok, for starters you can take out the AS5 from the shopping cart.

you can forget about water cooling and you can throw an core contact freezer in your shopping cart
a b K Overclocking
July 27, 2009 8:20:36 AM

And you didnt mention what your processor or case is...?
Related resources
July 27, 2009 8:27:17 AM

I assume you're referring to the 120mm CCTF?

And I'm dropping the Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste because the CCTF comes with TX-2 thermal paste? That brand will be sufficient?

The link to the processor is in the sentence. I bolded it so it would be more visible. Sorry about that.

I really don't know what type of case I have. I'm upgrading an old Compaq Presario sr1913wm, but I haven't been able to find any specs about the case on line.
a b K Overclocking
July 27, 2009 8:30:08 AM

yes, i was referring to the 120mm.

And the thermal paste with the CCF is very good.
July 27, 2009 8:38:33 AM

I do not know how a 120 mm fan would fit on my computer.
a b K Overclocking
July 27, 2009 8:47:51 AM

^ dude, seriusly you need a better case then (=
July 27, 2009 8:49:28 AM

Can't. I'm on too tight a budget. :cry:  Else I'd be shelling out an extra thirty dollars for Phenom II X2 3.1GHz processor.
a b K Overclocking
July 27, 2009 8:53:39 AM

you said you have a $90 cooling budget correct?

centurion 590 case=$60

Core contact freezer=$24

4 Yate loon fans= 16

Total=$96

You can give the extra 6 bucks right?
a b K Overclocking
July 27, 2009 8:55:33 AM

I was going to suggest puting another yate loon on the other side of the CCF and then make a wind tunnel with aluminum sheet.

that would cost another 10-$15

doesnt sound like you could afford it though. It doesnt really matter, it will only drop the temps like 4-6c
July 27, 2009 8:58:04 AM

I'll admit that I was trying to hold out for a new hard disk. Oh well. I'll need the cooling.

The case does look good. However, I'm confused about how the fan system works. In the description on Newegg, it says it has one front slot and one rear slot, but it says it can accommodate eight fans. Are the other six internal? In addition, could I use a couple of low db fans in the front and back for sound and use the real air movers inside (I've heard it's better to have a positive air pressure inside of the case anyway to force dust out.)

Also, would this PSU be able to provide enough power/connections to all my components?
a b K Overclocking
July 27, 2009 9:07:25 AM

That is true, what i would do like i said is get aluminum pieces for like $10 at home depot and duct tape a little vent over the CCF.

Then i would put a yate loon on the other side.

like this :

sorry i kinda suck at paint.
a b K Overclocking
July 27, 2009 9:08:01 AM

lrh9 said:
I'll admit that I was trying to hold out for a new hard disk. Oh well. I'll need the cooling.

The case does look good. However, I'm confused about how the fan system works. In the description on Newegg, it says it has one front slot and one rear slot, but it says it can accommodate eight fans. Are the other six internal? In addition, could I use a couple of low db fans in the front and back for sound and use the real air movers inside (I've heard it's better to have a positive air pressure inside of the case anyway to force dust out.)

Also, would this PSU be able to provide enough power/connections to all my components?

That PSU should be fine.
July 27, 2009 9:54:49 AM

Thank you so very much for taking the time to help me find my cpu fan and heatsink and pointing me in the right direction for a case and case fans.
a b K Overclocking
July 27, 2009 10:06:22 AM

Yeah, no prob for helping you.

did you see this case?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

And i would not get the led fans because you wont be able to easily see them (assuming thats why your buying them)

i would get the yate loons i pointed u to earlier and replace all of the fans inside with those.

Do you have a frys by where you live?
a b K Overclocking
July 27, 2009 10:07:12 AM

IM going to go to bed now but i will be back at like 1pm tomarrow.

its like 5 am here.
July 27, 2009 3:20:09 PM

^+1 to overshocked's suggestion with the coolermaster case and add a yate loon fan (since they are wayyy cheaper than the coolermaster one you'd be buying)...I would still keep the ones the case came with just to save money...that CCF heatsink is one sick puppy....
July 27, 2009 9:40:05 PM

overshocked said:
Yeah, no prob for helping you.

did you see this case?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

And i would not get the led fans because you wont be able to easily see them (assuming thats why your buying them)

i would get the yate loons i pointed u to earlier and replace all of the fans inside with those.

Do you have a frys by where you live?

Unless you're talking about hamburgers and fries, no I don't have a "frys" nearby.

I'm not getting the fans because of the led. According to the specs, they have a 90 cfm air flow and the lowest db rating of all the >80 cfm fans.

I did see the other case. That was the one I first thought about getting. However, I'd rather have a front fan than a side fan. (I'm thinking more air would pass over my GPU that way - both in rate and in profile.) Also, I didn't know if the side vent would or would not allow room for the CPU fan/heatsink we selected. (I'm not talking about the side fan, but the round tube side vent.)
a b K Overclocking
July 27, 2009 9:48:35 PM

^ the vent is removable....

But like conundrum said. "ive given you all i can, now you have got to fish for the right equipment yourself"

Get it?
July 27, 2009 10:00:31 PM

Right. I feel like I've gotten the best I can in budget.

I'm confident that I'll be able to run everything on stock. The question is just how well will I be able to OC my components. I'll have to find that out after I get everything.

Seeing as this is my first time doing anything custom in regards to computer hardware, a little experimentation might be a good learning experience anyway.

Thank you.
a b K Overclocking
July 27, 2009 10:16:28 PM

^ yep definelty.... I am VERY friendly to modding, so have fun with your new goodies!
July 28, 2009 5:39:33 AM

overshocked said:
That is true, what i would do like i said is get aluminum pieces for like $10 at home depot and duct tape a little vent over the CCF.

Then i would put a yate loon on the other side.

like this :

http://img188.imageshack.us/img188/4064/123jne.png

sorry i kinda suck at paint.

Hey overshocked, if you have time, can you tell me what exactly you are doing right here. No offense, but I don't understand you're drawing. I have the sunbeam CCF, and i'm always looking for new ways to keep my OC'd e8400 at a lower temperature.

So are you suggesting that 2 pieces of aluminum sheets would be attached to the side of the heatsink so that 100% of the ccf fan will be directed through it? And also is the 2nd fan connected the to the heatsink as well? How exactly would you go about getting these extra pieces to stay?
a c 86 K Overclocking
July 28, 2009 5:50:46 AM

Yep, he sealed the sides, so ALL the air goes through the fins. You can use anything ya want to mount the fan, maybe you can buy an extra set of fan clips from them, or wireties, rubber bands, tape etc.

Double sided sticky tape for the sides? They could be made of cardboard, plastic sheet, milk carton box, whatever ya got laying around.
a b K Overclocking
July 28, 2009 10:10:53 AM

bluzman32 said:
Hey overshocked, if you have time, can you tell me what exactly you are doing right here. No offense, but I don't understand you're drawing. I have the sunbeam CCF, and i'm always looking for new ways to keep my OC'd e8400 at a lower temperature.

So are you suggesting that 2 pieces of aluminum sheets would be attached to the side of the heatsink so that 100% of the ccf fan will be directed through it? And also is the 2nd fan connected the to the heatsink as well? How exactly would you go about getting these extra pieces to stay?

Yes , i was saying that you take 3 pieces of aluminum solder them together to make sort of a cover for it. Then you can mount it anyway you like. Zipties,Tape, etc...etc.

The second fan i mounted was held by zipties.

If you havnt already you should lapp it, it will drop your temps a fair amount.
!