Problem with overclocking core i7 920

ak_lives

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009
Guys i really need ur help in this area.....

I use a Core i7 920 C0 revision at 3.5 ghz ....anything over this will either giv me a bsod :fou:
or will hang up when i do a stress test or a 3d vantage ....

It really pisses me off....
My spec-------Asus Rampage II extreme (2nd board, the first one's socket got broke)
Ram-----Corsair Xms3 --3x2gb kit
Graphics--Radeon 4870x2
Power----Ocz 850W
Cpu cooler---Thermaltake V1.....Im not sure if this is any gud coz many other forums i found out tht this is not a great aftermarket cooler......

But still tht shud atleast help me reach 3.8ghz or 4.0ghz....

Im not a experienced overclocker....i had a phenom 9850 BE and had did some overclockin on tht but then out of the blue it jus got busted :pfff: :pfff: ........so i lost all hope with amd
and then jumped on to intel...
im lookin for a 24/7 stable OC...
plz help...

ill post the values i hav put on bios....to make the things more clear...
and i hav lack of sources to buy stuffs frm for my pc and so thermaltake v1 was my only hope for cooling but the reviews were not bad either for this cooler.
i wanted to go for xigmatek dark knight but couldnt find it...i've ever heard tht the stock cooler will giv me enough coolin to get me to 3.8ghz but i didn try tht yet..so tht shud mean tht either somethin is wrong wit my OC or the cooler..
so pls help me with this prob..

I stay in ""UAE""......
if u want any more info pls do ask!

toosober

Distinguished
May 20, 2006
I have the P6T and a c0 stepping CPU running @ 3.8 @ 200mhz, 4.0ghz is stable but the benchmarks are actually slower. I did not have to start adding voltage until around the 168mhz range.
I noticed that some of the c0 stepping CPUs do not overclock as nicely as other c0 stepping CPUs.
If you followed the guides, then you may be one of those that are stuck. If you did not follow the guides, do it now! LOL

ak_lives

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009
thnx will try out the guide and then post if it was any good...
and wat do u guys think abt the cooler i hav??
shud i go for another one??

Ancient_1

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2006

I would guess that you are getting it to throttle at that speed for it to bench worse. I would get i7 Turbo and run it while at 4gig and would guess that it will show your cpu throttling down under load.

That thermatake really isn't a decent cooler for an i7 if you want to get to the 3.8~4gig range. I would suggest the Noctua NH-U12P SE1366, Prolimatech Megahalems, Thermalright IFX-14, Thor's Hammer, or the TRUE which seem to be the best at present.

ak_lives

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009
i did look out for the Noctua cooler but couldnt find it over here in Dubai...
so i had two option the zalman 9900cnps or the thermaltake v1 and thermaltake spinQ....so i went for the v1 thinking that its betta than the zalman one..
if i ever get my hands on any of the two-the noctua or the dark knight i wud surely get them.

i didn check out the overclockin part coz i had to work late...so will check out this weekend and post the results...
thnx for help mate..

reading tht guide did help me out at some area's lik abt the voltage and stuff i neva
really took tht part seriously...coz in some forums guys use lik crazy voltages to reach 4.0 or more....
they wil b on the verge of busting their processors...

any ill try to be in the safe as i spend a lot on this and wudnt want it to get burned.
my first rampage ii extreme board got screwed without even being used and asus pple didnt even take the board back..so it was a total loss.

so i went off and bought the same board again and it seems to work as it shud.