WillT

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
This question is out of total curiosity so delete if you think it is spam.

I have been working on a game in java for about a year and a half. It will probably be another year before in anywhere near finishing(you would think a ool would be good for 3d models but i guess not). But if I ever finish it and it does well what type of internet connection would you need. I'm thinking a little under 10.000 people if it does extremely well. If I could get 500 people on a server, what type of internet speed would you need?

I'm not sure how many packets or the sizes of the packets yet but it couldn't be more than one kilobit

JustAGuy51

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2008
Interesting post...

I have ADSL. During non-busy times, my download speed is 2415 Kbps and upload speed is around 135 kbps. Cable connections have probably faster speed than DSL. Dial-up connections have less than 100 Kbps download speed(not my experience but pulled from info page). From those two, you want to use upload speed becoz it is the lesser of the two.

You also don't want to pack more than MTU (maximum transmission unit) size in a single packet since MTU for ethernet (i.e cable) is 1500 bytes and MTU for DSL is 1480. Dialup MTU is over 1000 bytes but not exactly sure. But who use dialup now adays, right? If you consider for players in really remote/rural areas, then you might also want to look at satellite internet MTU. For that, www.dslreports can help you.

JustAGuy51

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2008
Forgot to mention that there is a free multiplayer online game called "Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory" that is coded by open source game developers. I am sure you can learn a lot about networking aspect of games from those guys.

TRENDING THREADS