Will adding a recovery record improve dvd life

superhighperf

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2006
will adding a recovery record improve dvd life?

i burn a lot of stuff to DVD. games, video, data....... and i would like to know if there is a way to get longer life out of the media. i know a DVD has a life span but what exactly happens to the data when that time is reached? is it like a scratch on the disc and the computer can not read just that part or does everything go bad, all at once?

if it is like a scratch then using WinRar and adding a recovery record should help extend the life of the media. i know from experience that the recovery record works most of the time. when i upload stuff i use a %5 recovery record and even if the data is corrupted during the download WinRar can fix the problem.

would adding a recovery record help retrieve data that is lost due to the lifespan of the media?

Solution
Whether you lose all data, some data or nothing depends on the location and severity of the scratch. Usually you will only lose a small part if the disc has a deep scratch.
Personally I would not bother with recovery records. Instead burn everything on two different brands (obviously high quality brands).

A nice thing about DVD backups is the ability to check the error rates on the disc with a utility like Opti Drive Control. This will only take a few minutes and gives you a highly detailed status of the disc. If you do this every six months or so your data should be safe.

Mimoso

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
Whether you lose all data, some data or nothing depends on the location and severity of the scratch. Usually you will only lose a small part if the disc has a deep scratch.
Personally I would not bother with recovery records. Instead burn everything on two different brands (obviously high quality brands).

A nice thing about DVD backups is the ability to check the error rates on the disc with a utility like Opti Drive Control. This will only take a few minutes and gives you a highly detailed status of the disc. If you do this every six months or so your data should be safe.

Solution