New LCD flickering

rrr1431

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2008
Hello,

I have a brand new (about a week old) Samsung Syncmaster 743Nx LCD screen.
I've noticed ever since I hooked it up that when I first turn the computer on the screen will flicker. This will last for about 15-20 mins and then it goes away, although i've also seen it come back after a while.

Is this an issue with the LCD screen? or is it with other things like the video card or power supply or even the VGA cable?

I have a 350W generic (no name) power supply that's fairly old and a Nvidia GeForce 7200GS graphics card.

The flicker may be from the CCFL lamp within the screen. just like some people notice flicker from a regular florescence bulb.

If you bought it locally you may be able to just straight exchange it(if it bugs you that much).

IH8U

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007
If you are running the monitor through a DVI cable (*which does pass some power to the monitor). It is likley that the PSU, and vid card are not supplying enough power. The cheapest fix would be to run the monitor via the VGA cable instead (if you have an adapter around, if not the BB, or CC, even walmart should have a DVI to VGA).

*A friend from work found that there is some power running through the DVI cable, as he shocked himself on a bad cable.

rrr1431

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2008
I'm using a VGA cable, as apparently 17" LCD's typically don't come with DVI. Do you still thing it could be due to Video Card or PS issue?