Seagate notebook drive reliability

irklit

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009
do you know what brand drive are typically putin Sony laptops? Particularly the FW models and newer FW590 model? Is the 7200rpm speeds as reliable as the 5400rpm speeds for the brand disk drive?

Solution
Seems Sony—like other online retailers—don't make this kind of info easily available. Your best bet is to look for a shop carrying this laptop, pretend to try using it, then going to Device Manager. The hard disk model number should be listed there.

And yes, generally 7200rpm hard disks are reliable, unless you unfortunately buy a lemon, which you can always return.

r_manic

Administrator
Seems Sony—like other online retailers—don't make this kind of info easily available. Your best bet is to look for a shop carrying this laptop, pretend to try using it, then going to Device Manager. The hard disk model number should be listed there.

And yes, generally 7200rpm hard disks are reliable, unless you unfortunately buy a lemon, which you can always return.

Solution

marcellis22

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
Have you asked the seller what drives are being sold with the Sony? Why don't you do your own leg work on this? The 7200RPM drive will run hotter and faster...Reliability is somewhere in the MTBF of 300,000 hours, 5 to 7+ years...

irklit

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009
Believe me i spent time with their direct chat folks, called their technical folks and they claim that is proprietarty type info and/or just don't have the info available. So the answer is I have done my leg work but go no where.
quotemsg=1783572,3,88080]Have you asked the seller what drives are being sold with the Sony? Why don't you do your own leg work on this? The 7200RPM drive will run hotter and faster...Reliability is somewhere in the MTBF of 300,000 hours, 5 to 7+ years...[/quotemsg]