Sony KDFE-50A10 LCD TV - impossible to get one with perfec..

Last response: in Home Theatre
Share
September 28, 2005 9:21:20 AM

I used the Overscan test (a bunch of rectangles inside each other) on
Avia's Guide to Home Theater DVD on 2 different Sony KDFE-50A10 3LCD
rear projection TVs.

Measuring from the edge of the screen to the outermost visible
rectangle, the picture on 1 set was titled about 1/8" on all sides.

On the 2nd set the bottom was perfectly straight, but the top right
side was 3/16" lower than the top left.

I carefully inspected the screens on 4 different 50A10 sets. Each set
had at least 5 pieces of dirt underneath the screen. 1 of them had 3
large stuck colored pixels, and another had 2 large dead pixels. On 2
of the sets when they were turned off, I used a flashlight to inspect
the screen and saw numerous white specks embedded behind the screen as
well as numerous short vertical scratches. Fortunately, other than the
stuck and dead pixels, none of these defects were visible when viewed
at a reasonable distance.

I was told that a 1/4" tilt on the geometry is well within specs and
that some dirt specks or a few bad pixels are to be expected on all
sets. I wonder if that's really the best Sony can do with technology
today or if that's the best they choose to do to save on costs.

QUESTIONS:

Has anyone seen and measured a Sony 3LCD TV (50A10, 55A20, 60A20) with
geometry that is off less than 1/8"? Or is 1/8" to 1/4" of tilt
considered average?

Do the 55A20 and 60A20 also suffer from the same tilt and dirt
specks/bad pixels issues? I only inspected the 50A10s.

Is tilt (rotation) an adjustable setting in Service Mode or is it
impossible to adjust the optics on these sets to reduce the tilt?
Anonymous
September 29, 2005 2:04:43 AM

May even want to try twisting the cabinet a bit with the cross hatch
diplayed and see what that actually does to these items. A slight amount of
pressure on the cabinet, screen assemblies on most of these can cause
dynamic changes in the displayed geometry. Not specific to SONY wither, seen
this on many other LCD and DLP Projection TVs. Now? Is this a design
problem, a installation problem, or someone being just to critical?

!