How to get RAID0 only for a limited space

Criss-AC

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2009
Hi, I have 2 HDDs, one of 500 GB and one of 1 TB. I was wondering if I could get the to RAID 0 only a part of the available gigs, something like 50 GB from each HDD, 50 GB which I would use for C partition, while keeping the rest untouched, and use it normally for other data? I wouldn't want to raid everything as my two HDDs are not the same size.

You are not going to do what you want to.
You can use 2 different sized drives, BUT it will default to 2 times the smallest one. In your case you would have available 500 gigs + 500 Gigs = ! TB. You would lose 500 Gigs on the 1 TB drive (CAN NOT USE). Now you can create a raid0 strip of say 50 gigs (Would show up as drive 0) and create a 2nd stripe using the remainder of space ( 1 TB - 50 Gigs) - this would then show up as drive 1. I have ICH8R and you are limited to 2 striped arrays per pair of disks. Do not know if this is true for ICH9R and 10R.

Criss-AC

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2009
So there is no way that I could have only a little of each HDD in RAID 0 while keeping the rest untouched? Not even as a... software RAID? About this I am not sure...

Anyway, your answer was just as what I was afraid of hearing..