System Crashing ---Please help!?

coryburgess

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2007
Okay, I have an old Sony Vaio, model PCV-RX951.
It has a P4 2.66GHz
Mobo _ Asus P4S533-VL with a BIOS still from 2002, but I can't find a new one???
1GB ram total

I recently updgrade the Video Card To:
nVidia GeForce7300GT - AGP 2/4 - wiht 512MB
I'm nearly positive that I have the most current Bios for it. Version 5.73.22.57.01
I have a Samsung 32" Monitor im using 1360x768

the vid card that came with the PC was very slow running this res on the new monitor, so i upgraded.

Well since then, I startup WoW and I get all this crazy artifacts, like lighitning bolts flashing across screen.

I have tried doing a complete repair of WoW, but it was working fine before.

I am using factory default vid settings, other than resolution.

The only thing i can think is maybe I need more Power. If I remember right, the stock one that came with the PC is only 300 watts. I had bought one, but it didn't work for this old PC.

The only think i'm havng problems on is WoW.

OH And this is wierd, So i was using a 32" Sony Display before, same problems. I switched to this Samsung today and now, when i start up WoW i get a massive lock-up and failure- causing the entire system to reboot???!!!

Please any suggestions? or ways to correct

Can i send more power to the vid card???

nitrous9200

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2007
Sounds like you need more power. What video card did the system have before you put in the new card (integrated graphics)? Hopefully you uninstalled the old drivers before, perhaps that is the cause of the problem. This does sound like symptoms of inadequate power, in which case you would need to upgrade the power supply.

coryburgess

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2007
I have the old board still, but it doesn't say on it - it was a 32mb card, i think it is also by nVidia -

And i'm pretty sure that i removed the drivers, but can't remember to be honest.

Everything else is working great, but WoW is also the only game that I play, everything else is just outlook, quickbooks, excell, and some programming software.

smalltime0

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2008
Yeah its probably the PSU, the Gfx draws more power when in 3d than in 2d,this is why it happens during playing WOW and not when you use outlook.

smalltime0

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2008
As long as it uses the ATX standard, yes you can.
Brilliant this standard thing isn't it... You may only have a 20pin connector on your mobo though, the 4 pins should be able to just hang over if you get a 24 pin connector (there are PSUs available with 20 pins connectors with an extra 4 pin connector).

coryburgess

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2007
Okay, So I had an ANTEC Case with an ANTEC Earthwatts 430Watt power supply.

I took everything out of the original sony case, installed everything in the new case and connected it up to the new power supply.

Every time I start up, i get an error, and it asks me to press f1 to continue or f2 to go into config.

When I press f1, the pc starts up, windows loads and everything, so far, appears to be working fine.

But why the error everything i startup?
Do i need to reconfigure the MoBo for the new PSU?

Also, i am still getting some glitches with the vid card playing WoW, but from a quick logon test, it seems to be significantly better, but still some flaw.
Can this again be fixed through something to do with the PSU Setup or is it time to look into something else?

Thanks for all the help