Asus M2N-SLI boot issue

ch1tybang

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
So I am setting up my new computer and ran into an issue booting it.
After the initial setup (putting everything together) it booted up fine. the status light on the mobo was yellow. I installed windows xp and it ran fine. I ran into trouble when i decided to install my wireless card in the PCI slot. After turning off the computer, i inserted the card into one of my open pci slots. When i tried to turn on the computer again it would not boot. Initially, the status light still was on while i was trying to power up. over a time of around 15 min of confusion, the green status light would not turn on regardless of whether or not i had the power switch on.
now when i try to power up, only the pwr fan and the psu fan spin for a second or two, then nothing happens.
any help would be appreciated. Here are my specs

Asus M2N-SLI nforce 560
AMD Athlon 64 X2 5400+ Black Edition Socket AM2
OCZ SLI 2048MB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz (2x1024MB)

somethings im going to try out soon:
-get another psu and attempt to power up the basics
Thanks again

ch1tybang

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
im going to try putting the card in a different slot today. also, will be testing the psu.
does the status light just indicate a power source?

You wrote that you powered off the computer before installing the wireless card, but did you also power off the PSU or disconnect the power cord from either the PSU or the wall outlet? In other words, was the light off on the motherboard? That light indicates standby power and it should be off before adding or removing components.

If you haven't already done so, power off the PSU and remove that wireless card. Then let us know if it resolves the original issue.

ch1tybang

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
So after about 5 min of thinking, its resolved.

I realized that i installed the motherboard with the incorrect hardware. i came to the conclusion that my motherboard was in contact with my computer case. i raised the motherboard with some spacers and now its working fine. thanks for the help anyways.