All video card prices raised on newegg

fugben

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2008
Base costs have been raised about 10-15 $ on 4870 and rebates for the most part have been revoked. On top of this the 260s and 280s are more expensive.

Whats happening with newegg, why are prices going up rather than down??? Are they selling that well?

Feb 24, 2006
Dear Customer,

Thanks for taking the time to post your informative review. We greatly apologize for any inconvenience you have experienced due to your situation. At your earliest convenience, please contact Alex at 800-390-1119 ( dial 25040 immediately ) or by email at alex.a.villarino@newegg.com for further assistance.

Sincerely,

Newegg.com

MooseMuffin

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2006
wtf? Isn't the whole point of companies being on message boards to improve their customer service image?

Why have generic reply bot, which clearly won't accomplish that goal?

LOL, yeah, where's that "informative review" it's talking about?

The USD is worth more today than two weeks ago, compared to the euro, pound or Canadian dollar for example. I don't think we can blame that.

Maybe they're just raising prices because they expect all the kids to go on summer vacations and demand new video cards.

tonyn84

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2008
When I purchased my gtx 260 last week it was labeled as an 'end of the month sale'. Its all probably just business tactics to get a better looking month of sales. Now that its August they'll likely get a boost from back to school buyers and take advantage of that with a slight increase to prices.

kamel5547

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006

1) Rebates are generally offered by Manufacturers not Retailers, Newegg has no control over rebates.

2)Newegg constanly adjust prices based on how items are selling, the higher the demand is and lower their stock level the higher prices go (And vice versa). For newer items this generally means prices will go up and down, not just down. Also due to Newegg's position as the only stop for many buyers, they don't price as aggressively as some other sites.

@MoosedMuffin: Agreed, that post is worse than no post.

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
I don't like higher prices either, but look from this perspective, if you wanted to buy at best buy for example, you would likely pay double or triple what newegg charges, so you still get a deal.

Man, I hope that's what's happening. That would mean ATI and NVidia are selling more units and at better profits/unit, and they might even survive this year. I kind of like having them both around, you know...

bigbruver

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2008

I used to think that way too, but i was blown away when i walked into both BB and CC this morning to find visiontek 4850's for sale at 179.99. since the rebates from july are over, it's just about the same price. went ahead and got it at BB and am lovin it.

kellytm3

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2007

I noticed the massive price increases as well.The GTX 260/280 cards went back up in price,anywhere from $150 to $200,especially the BFG GTX 280 cards.BFG low end 280 could be had for $400 after rebate.

mikeny

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
Is their a video card manufacturer that still takes your old video card and credits it ( a small credit but still saves you on recycling) when you buy a new one with them? Was it XFX, BFG???

scooterlibby

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2008
My guess is ATI was buoyed by their unexpectedly good performance and are willing to asking for a bit more due to that and the good press. Nvidia probably got wind of that and decided to risk a price raise as well. Basically non-collusive (we hope, didn't some emails suggest otherwise?) price shifts, I doubt that their pricing schemes reflect short term currency fluctuations.