Hi,

Just bought a new rig, here's the specs:

MB ASUS P5Q PRO 775 P45 RT
CPU INTEL|C2D E8400 3G 775 45N R
MEM 2Gx2|GSK F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ R

SATA hard drive WD 160g i think.
geforce 8600 GTS Video card
500 watt supply

put everything together last night, went to plug it in to first boot it, and i get no bios beep, no video signal to the monitor. All of the fans and HD's spin up, and i have the green power standby light on the board, and I still get no BIOS boot beep.

I pull out the video card, and reseat, it same problem. So I pull out the video card and boot with no VGA, and the board gives me the no VGA detected beep sequence. Same thing when I pulled out the memory, so I know the board isn't DOA.

Video card is from my old machine, and was working 10 minutes prior to installing in the new machine, so I know that that isn't the problem.
Also tried putting the video card in the other PCI express slot on the board to make sure the slot wasn't dead. Same thing.

Any thoughts? similar experiences? Many Thanks.
October 7, 2008 6:36:41 PM

1) did you adjust the settings in BIOS for your ram and make sure proper Voltages for ram/cpu?
2) what BIOS version are you using? compatible with E8400?
October 7, 2008 6:45:39 PM

grieve said:
1) did you adjust the settings in BIOS for your ram and make sure proper Voltages for ram/cpu?
2) what BIOS version are you using? compatible with E8400?

its not even POSTing. can't get to the bios yet
Related resources
October 7, 2008 6:58:08 PM

Check your power connections on the board. Reseat the 24 pin and the 8 or 4 pin cpu power.
October 7, 2008 7:04:32 PM

dallasjoh said:
Check your power connections on the board. Reseat the 24 pin and the 8 or 4 pin cpu power.

did that multiple times as well. still nothing.
November 26, 2008 9:00:18 PM

i am having the same issue. any thoughts on this? should i just RMA the mobo back? New psu?
December 1, 2008 4:20:08 PM

I had the same issue :(  ,
December 1, 2008 8:17:36 PM

try removing the board outside of the case and build it outside to eliminate issues with the board shorting out. if you can't get the board to post outside of the case with just one stick of memory, cpu, and the video card then its probably the board.
December 15, 2008 6:33:10 PM

Guys,
have you solved this issue, eventually?
I'm having the some problem with P5Q-SE2, same symptoms...
Was for you a problem related to the board shorting out, or another one?
thx
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
January 26, 2009 4:33:29 PM

I had the same issue. Just had 8 Gb mem. It worked with 4 Gb.

Updated then Mboard (P5Q Pro) bios and now 8 Gb works just fine!

Best regards,
-TaS-
January 30, 2009 12:34:57 PM

guys, any news on this?
i have the same issue with this mobo, and EVGA GTX260 55nm card... no beep, no video signal, no fan starts on the video card...
i tried the old 8800GTS card - the fan starts but still no video signal.
i checked both the GTX260 and 8800GTS on a friend's Gigabyte P35 mobo and all worked fine (fans, video signal)...
If anyone knows how to solve this issue please reply! I desperately need your help!
thanks in advance!

edit:
Eventually, I was able to solve it. The thing is, I forgot to connect the 12V 8-PIN power cable. This mobo has 2 power connectors - one is 24V connector, you can find it on the right side of the mobo (near the drives) and the other is 12V connector, which you can find in the upper side of the mobo.
Make sure both of them are connected to the PSU.

:) 
February 18, 2009 11:02:35 PM

i have exactl same problem but the non working card is palit and working card is asus en 7900 gtx :-\
February 22, 2009 3:05:29 PM

I'm dealing with that exact same problem even after I RMA'd the motherboard once and added a new power supply and case and nothing. I am so dead in the water with this thing and even Asus doesn't say anything when asked. I may have to go with DFI.
February 27, 2009 10:01:32 PM

I am not getting green LED light up on my mobo, plus case fans are not working. Could it be a PSU problem?
February 27, 2009 11:09:29 PM

First, I let me clear up one thing: 1.) Asus has one of the lowest failure rates of manufacturers in the industry. 2.) 98% of RMAs are due to installer ignorance or lack of knowledge or oversight about particulars involved in proper installation. 3.) Careful attention and due diligence are required. When in doubt, read #3 again and start researching options!!!
With that said, here’s what I experienced. I slapped the Asus P5Q Pro in a case connected everything up and poof! No POST (power-up self test.) I eventually RMA’d the motherboard and, later, the power supply when my Antec tester showed no juice. Believe it or not, the LED on the power supply tester may have failed. !#$%^!
My install was this: Asus P5Q Pro mobo + Core2 Duo 8500, SoundBlaster X-Fi, Antec Quattro 1000 watt power supply and 2 ATI Radeon 4850X2 video cards. Yup, 4 GPUs baby! Slapped it all together and the system had a seizure – no boot, no fan spin, nothing. After research, here’s why:
1.) Daisy chained fans overloaded the cable killing power to the system. Wrong. Connect them with the multi connector. An even distribution of the power load is critical to the stable operation of your power supply. (Don’t unevenly load the power supply!)
2.) Installed both Radeon’s at once. Wrong. For some reason, this motherboard prefers (from my little experience) you install a PCI express card first (not a dual GPU [graphics processor unit] video card) install all software, then upgrade, one at a time.
3.) In short, back out completely, then try each piece at a time. I don’t know why, but this system build was very touchy. No components were faulty at all. But, they had to be systematically installed, monitored and proven before the next step. Careful attention and due diligence are necessary – not optional. I wish Asus would do a better job and put their techs to producing a troubleshooting link on their website. They could do 2 things: One, save money and frustration and Two, gain loyal customers.
May 22, 2009 12:41:26 PM

grr
i friken hate this problem!!!!!!!!!
mm so im gettint he same probs, i tested evry component on me old bord n they work fine......nothing works on the p5q pro tho
lol then i decided eh get a new one n then send the other one to faulty parst....kinda good plan
i built it first without the case, just connectin me 8500gt , 1gb ram, and 6750 cpu in..it worked fine..........cept for the no cpu fan install n no keybord post messages
so i slapped it in the case n bam!!!!!!
not working!!
so i removed it again n tried to boot it outside....still not working
funy thing i find with this bord is its black.....cnt check for fry burns :( 
mm so im guessin for sum nut reason, the power lines tht go from the northbridge to the pci e slots r fried
dnt no how tho cuz im usually careful installer.............usually
May 25, 2009 8:15:01 PM

I installed a similar motherboard (P5Q-E) a week ago with no problems at all. Recently, I tried to turn my system on by flipping the power supply switch ON. Before I could press the power button on the case, the motherboard starts to power up by itself.. All the fans turn on, hard drives receive power, but nothing actually boots. Nothing on the monitors, keyboard unresponsive, nothing. The ASUS guys told me maybe its a bad power supply. I tried with a new power supply and the same thing happens. As soon as I plug it in and switch it on, the system powers up automatically without doing anything. I held the power button on the case, which had no effect. There is a power and reset button on the motherboard it self, i pressed and held those, didnt do anything. I'm going to return it and get a new one, but I'd like to know if this is a common problem. I've seen a couple of similar posts with no solutions. I dont want the same thing to happen and wonder if I should go with another brand or model.. Thanks, Sohel
July 15, 2009 3:50:45 PM

tsaund22 said:
Hi,

Just bought a new rig, here's the specs:

MB ASUS P5Q PRO 775 P45 RT
CPU INTEL|C2D E8400 3G 775 45N R
MEM 2Gx2|GSK F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ R

SATA hard drive WD 160g i think.
geforce 8600 GTS Video card
500 watt supply

put everything together last night, went to plug it in to first boot it, and i get no bios beep, no video signal to the monitor. All of the fans and HD's spin up, and i have the green power standby light on the board, and I still get no BIOS boot beep.

I pull out the video card, and reseat, it same problem. So I pull out the video card and boot with no VGA, and the board gives me the no VGA detected beep sequence. Same thing when I pulled out the memory, so I know the board isn't DOA.

Video card is from my old machine, and was working 10 minutes prior to installing in the new machine, so I know that that isn't the problem.
Also tried putting the video card in the other PCI express slot on the board to make sure the slot wasn't dead. Same thing.

Any thoughts? similar experiences? Many Thanks.

www.tomshardware.com/forum/253443-30-asus-boot-issues

Hi,

Had the same problem with My P5K and now P5Q pro

- All fans and dvd + hard drives power up
- Power light and HDD access Light stay fixed
- No POST

In the process of RMAing my PSU, An OCZ Stealth Xtream, which worked for 11 months in my P5K and and for a week on my P5Q

Swapped with a known working one, worked perfectly, swapped back, same problem!

weird thing is it will POST now and again and works perfectly when it does! Turn it off though and back to NO POST!

Hope this helps
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
September 7, 2009 8:00:00 PM

Hi

I face the same problem, i.e. no post, no display, power to drive (WD caviar black 640GB) is OK, fans working, but it just does not boot ! My MoBo is Asus P5Q-E, Mushkin 2x2GB memory I have XP Pro on my PC.

I discovered that unplugging my WD caviar black disk, and the system shows the post/Bios screen normally.

Then I plug my HDD into the MArvell RAID controller and ..., then the POST/Bios shows the boot sequence normally. Then before XP loads, the screen says boot.ini missing or corrupt. Booting from c:\windows; and then my PC boot normally and I can work normally with it. I check on C: drive and find that boot.ini is missing !

Shut and restarts are OK, except the messaging about missing/corrupt boot.ini.

I read somewhere that WD caviar disks write some firmware data on the disk itself (on some hidden sector or negative sector). So I'm just thinking that something happened to my disk which corrupted or deleted the boot.ini and also screwed up the firmware. This probably caused the cold boot problem.

Oh BTW, the same thing happened to me earlier just few weeks after buying this machine. That time I did not bother, but just re-installed by XP. It has been running OK till last week, and then the cold-boot problems came up.

Any suggestions ? Faulty disk ?? Or is it the MoBo ? ... considering there are many boot problems reported with Ausus P5Q boards.

VG
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
May 25, 2010 9:57:55 AM

Hi all,

I recently experienced the same problems, but haven't found a solution yet. Here's my experiences.

Setup:
Asus P5Q Pro
2x2 Gb Kingston RAM
E74000 Core2Duo.
Win XP.
Antec P150 case with a NEO PSU.

Here's what happend:
One day, after more than a year without any problems: puff - black screen.
The pc wouldn't boot. No POST, no beeps, no video.
I tried removing various parts but no luck. Tried with another videocard. No luck. Removed the HDD, no luck. Removed the DVD/CD, no luck.
One evening it started again, booted and ran for 20-30 minutes. Then puff - black screen. Since then it didn't start.
I RMA'ed the motherboard and the CPU, but it was returned. It worked.
Okay, then it must be the PSU.
Bought a new PSU. No luck...

Ok, then what?
I'm desperate and buys another Asus board and a CPU. Connects with the new PSU (Corsair). No POST or beeping?!
I remove the videocard, no harddisk or CD/DVD. No POST or beeping?!
I remove the RAM. No POST or beeping?!

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

/Kasper
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
July 21, 2010 11:54:47 PM

Hi,
I had this happen to me twice in the past year with the same board. The first time I just turned off the PSU and left it unplugged for 30 minutes, then rebooted and I got it to boot and show video. The second time a year later, this method did not work. I took the PC to a shop and the guy figured out the problem in an hour. Apparently in the BIOS my DRAM voltage was set to auto instead of 2.1V for Corsair RAM. He had to remove the RAM sticks initially and install one stick that worked at a lower voltage in order to get to the BIOS, then he changed the DRAM voltage and now everything works fine. Try what he did and see if that helps.

Setup:
Asus P5Q Pro Motherboard
2 x 2GB Corsair Dominator RAM
Q9300 Core2 Quad
Windows 7 64 bit
Cooler Master HAF case
December 2, 2010 5:28:41 AM

I have the same motherboard and had problems with random shutdowns, reboots and crashes. This is a replacement board that I RMAed because of a scratched surface trace. ASUS is the best for warranty repairs! On the new board forgot to manually reset the RAM speed and voltage in BIOS. Board did not detect the right RAM voltage or speed but did get the 5-5-5-15 timings right. Amazingly it loaded Win 7 Pro without a hitch and worked for a few days. Then the trouble started, crashing with the case power light constantly flashing even powered down! Replaced power supply, worked two days then repeat scenerio. The DDR RAM used is Patriot Extreme Performance PVS24G8500ELKR2 four gig kit. Manualy setting BIOS RAM speed to 1066mhz and voltage to 2.1 then booting, everything seems to work fine. A noticable Windows performance increase with new RAM settings!
December 2, 2010 5:32:45 AM

Oh,
I forgot, there is no speaker on this board so you will never hear beeps unless you install your own speaker!
!