Chances of getting a DOA mobo?

Ruraji

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2008
Hello,

This question is to people who frequently build computers, possibly professionally. What are the chances of getting a DOA(dead on arrival) motherboard? 1/5 1/50 1/100? Also is it the most common component to be DOA?

Thanks

I usually buy from the major brands (asus, msi, abit, gigabyte, intel) I've never recieved a board that was doa (knock on wood). so within the last 5 years I would be batting 9 for 9. But from what I see on newegg reviews power supplies, graphics cards and motherboards are the most likely doa components in that order.

royalcrown

Distinguished
well, if your motherboard is dead, the chances = 1 in 1 or 100 percent. Most of the time though, it's usually a jumper that is mislabeled or your boards ram voltage or it just doesn't work with that ram. PPL on newegg are way too dumb and just assume it is the board no matter what ! One thing you can do is cheak the mobo support page and see what brands happened to be tested on your board and at least go with the same brand memory if not the same exact model.

bobbknight

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
The so called industry average is something like 2%, that's the return rate on bad boards
I have had 3 out of 12 boards turn up doa with my builds over the years.
2 were PC Chips
1 was GigaByte
4 more died from bad cap syndrome.
The most common problem is a wave soldering error during fabrication, the second is bad caps. During the last 4 years I have had no doas and only 2 failures out of 7 boards.
The worst service and support I have seen has been from Asus, where I sent them a board with a bad southbridge and they sent 2 bad boards to me. Before finely getting it right with the 3rd one. I mean with one of the boards sent back to me caps were leaking and bulging. How does that pass QA?

groo

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2008
I've got near DOAs (failed within hours, maybe never worked right) from MSI and Gigabyte. one Abit warantee crossship came with a busted digital audio port (NB fan failure). I've also got a DOA cheap graphics card from Biostar.

so for me its about 1 in 3 for mobos and vid cards.

once I get a good on it can be dismanted and reassembled several times, so its not just me busting them.

there, that should scare off any noob considering a build.

thats why you try stuff before doing it all up nice any pretty.

never had a dead or failure with CPUs or HDDs

had cheap PSUs go, not good ones. never catostoficly. even then its still usable, but extremely unstable/noisy. so I had warnings.

Had a wireless keyboard die after just a couple of months, and a CRT monitor in 2 years way back in the day.

royalcrown

Distinguished

Your jinxed, stay the hell away from my stuff ! Never DOA anything, ever here, one time a cd-rw died on me but anyone who had a smart products drive remembers that peice of junk nightmare, they were going outta business and did not qa stuff !

aznguy0028

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2007
all my mobo's so far that i've had were good to me.

2 Abit, 1 Gigabyte...

had 3 graphics card...

visiontek was 1 for 2, and sapphire still running well :D

I have had good luck with hardware. Never had problems with MB, 3 ECS, 3 MSI, 2 ASUS and 1 Shuttle. GPU have given me more problems a gForce 2ti died from a lightning strike and a X1900GT had failing memory with 3 months left of warranty, which is 2 out of 12 GPU.
My only DOA was a 1GB Geil memory stick but that is one stick out of over 20 bought.
Never had a problem with PSU except 1 80mm fan I had to replace in a HEC unit in 2002.

smalltime0

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2008
Never had to return anything for DOA stuff.
My friend though got faulty RAM and Video card in the same build... lol
It took him about 3 months to find it was the RAM.
Basically he finally let me see it after three months and I told him it was the RAM.